Propeller blade identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you for all your help and insights and patience. I've learned a tremendous amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pleasure. :)

Just a question .. are all the markings on the hub adaptor there? Or maybe there is something else. For instance the DRG no. started also with RA or something like that.

My pleasure. :)

Just a question .. are all the markings on the hub adaptor there? Or maybe there is something else. For instance the DRG no. started also with RA or something like that.
I'll look again.

So I found one more marking. 'V'

I'm assuming it means it could possibly by blade #5?

There was experimentation done on 5 blades on the Spit which then had longer diameter of up to 11ft.

Thoughts?

Only challenge is that from what I can see this prop is RH rotating and not left (Griffins had a 5 blade left rotating crank). So must be from a Merlin - but what had a Merlin with 5 blades?

So I noted another post of Spitfire IX using a Merlin 70 with RH prop and 4 and 5 blades.

Diameter 10'9''

Attachments

• IMG_5995.jpeg
    IMG_5995.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
This is the SAAF MK IXe which was crashed but being restored. I note 4 blades, but I do believe some versions had 5 and a number were shipped to S Africa after the war…

Attachments

• IMG_5997.jpeg
    IMG_5997.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4
I doubt it is a blade from five-blade prop. The "V" may mean everything. Secondly the Spitfires with the 5-blade props were powered by the Griffon engines. The blades for the kind of props were of a different shape and RA/DRG ( drawimng numbers). I think it is from three or four-blade prop and not necessarily from Spitfire/Hurricane. Below the blade for the five-blade airscrew.

678716-0-medium.jpg

teh source: the net.

I doubt it is a blade from five-blade prop. The "V" may mean everything. Secondly the Spitfires with the 5-blade props were powered by the Griffon engines. The blades for the kind of props were of a different shape and RA/DRG ( drawimng numbers). I think it is from three or four-blade prop and not necessarily from Spitfire/Hurricane. Below the blade for the five-blade airscrew.

View attachment 762403
teh source: the net.
Hi Wurger,

The Mk IX was fitted with a Merlin 70 and had trials with both 4 and 5 blade props. See the link I sent you.

Sure the V could mean anything… but it's the only extra markings on the hub adaptor.

I suppose that's a dead end then?

I saw the site with the link. Have yuo noticed the prop blade serials listed?

Secondly how to prove the blade was a part of the prop if not mentioned?

I saw the site with the link. Have yuo noticed the prop blade serials listed?

Secondly how to prove the blade was a part of the prop if not mentioned?
Sure - I'm a lot closer than when I started my search though. And in some ways more confused…

What I do know:
1. Made by Jablo / F. Hills & Son Limited
2. Armoured (steel not brass) - with Rotoloid / Cristofin covering, because of the steel armour, I'm tending towards Cristofin.
3. Length indicates at least a 3 possibly 4 blade bladed prop - still keen to understand why it had a 'V' marking…
4. Possibly a Beaufighter prop.

That seems to sum it up.

Thanks for all the help.

As memo serves the F. Hills & Son manufactured Jablo blades with one of three coverings - either Jablo , Venus, or Cristofin covering. But it seems they used the Rotoloid as well.

Regarding the letter "V"it could be the manufacturer's code. Here is another hub adaptor for a prop blade used for the Seafire Mk.XV or the Mk. XVII. There is "VKC"marking that starts with just the letter.

14-05-21-il_794xn-2127890616_87rw-jpg.jpg

the source: identité de cette Hélice Spitfire?

As memo serves the F. Hills & Son manufactured Jablo blades with one of three coverings - either Jablo , Venus, or Cristofin covering. But it seems they used the Rotoloid as well.

Regarding the letter "V"it could be the manufacturer's code. Here is another hub adaptor for a prop blade used for the Seafire Mk.XV or the Mk. XVII. There is "VKC"marking that starts with just the letter.

View attachment 762423
the source: identité de cette Hélice Spitfire?
Thanks Wurger

Hi Wurger - another mystery, what ch you may be able to help me solve…

Markings aren't very clear - can you maybe shed some light on this one?

Attachments

• d6fe20aa-f5fd-4457-9ef2-0c80573ed4e0.jpeg
    d6fe20aa-f5fd-4457-9ef2-0c80573ed4e0.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 7
  • a5de5cb7-e4f4-4f02-b5d3-3d0d9ef2959a.jpeg
    a5de5cb7-e4f4-4f02-b5d3-3d0d9ef2959a.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 9
  • ef8d50f3-a086-4120-89d4-fd616e1cd36a.jpeg
    ef8d50f3-a086-4120-89d4-fd616e1cd36a.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back