Propeller from Focke-Wulf? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stani

Recruit
Jan 3, 2023
Hello everyone,
I would like to determine if the propeller is from a German plane from Focke-Wulf from World War II?
I only have these pictures.

IMG_20221122_142353.jpg

IMG_20221122_142406.jpg

IMG_20221122_142415.jpg

Stan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,
I would like to determine if the propeller is from a German plane from Focke-Wulf from World War II?
I only have these pictures.

Stan
Hi Stan,
With the correct information from the item I can certainly identify that propeller. Firstly, the Hub will have numbers stamped into the front face on the outside of the centre. There may also still be an aluminium id plate fixed-on, but these can be missing. At the rear, the spinner backplate should also have stamped numbers and an id plate.
Next, the blades will have a lot of numbers stamped into their bottom face. These can be seen with a good phone camera from inside the hub looking at the inside end of each blade. I see that one blade is still mounted in its correct fitting but 2 are in wooden mock-ups that might obscure the numbers on the bottom of those blades.
It is possible that some painted id numbers are on the blades, possibly on the other side.
The blades look to be fitted the wrong way around.
Overall, this is definitely a VDM type propeller assembly but, I need these numbers to confirm. As it stands it is quite valuable, if correct 190 propeller, it is very valuable.
BTW, the prop in the 190 video is not an original VDM, as far as I can see in that low quality vid.
So, please get those numbers for correct identification.

Cheers

Eng

Hi everyone,
When I get to the person who has it, I'll see if there are numbers on the propellers.
The fact that the propellers are placed wrong may be true, because the person who has them screwed them in himself, and certainly did it wrong?

My basic question is whether the set really comes from World War II?
Because only this time period interests me as a collector.
Stan

Hi everyone,
When I get to the person who has it, I'll see if there are numbers on the propellers.
The fact that the propellers are placed wrong may be true, because the person who has them screwed them in himself, and certainly did it wrong?

My basic question is whether the set really comes from World War II?
Because only this time period interests me as a collector.
Stan
Hi Stan,
There will be stamped numbers on the front/middle of the hub, the bottom of the blades and the backplate, it just depends if you can find them. The painted numbers on the blades are less likely to be there.
Are you looking to purchase this propeller assembly? I already said that this is definitely a VDM type propeller that was not produced after WW2, although the French and
a few other nations used some for a while after. However, I do not wish to just guess further when the numbers will prove the identity without doubt. It could be one of several different types.
If I was buying it, I would look for the numbers 100%.
Now, the Hub does not look to be damaged and, the blades seem possibly good. If the hub is damage free and not corroded it could have considerable value as undamaged ones are rare. Crashed/rusted ones are more common. However, just a genuine one in good condition is valuable and collectable and possibly, could be usable with overhaul.
Either way, if you are buying or just helping someone, you need the numbers off the hub and blades certainly!

Cheers

Eng

Base of an Fw190 A prop 9-12067. Later models went to 9-12153 and 9-12176. Not sure about the Dora prop.

Attachments

• Fw190-9-12067.jpg
    Fw190-9-12067.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 27
I have the VDM documentation and cannot identify any such blade hub sleeves anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back