Propellor hub-firing machine guns.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Tony,

>This was not hydraulic, by the way, although the transmission media did consist of liquid-filled tubes.

Highly interesting - quite advanced technology for WW1 in my opinion!

I guess I was confused by the remark on "Petty Air Release Valves", a term I couldn't translate but which had a certain pneumatical ring to it

>Incidentally, it is misleading (although common) to call such systems "interrupter gear", which implies that the MG was firing on automatic and was stopped from firing by the synchro gear whenever a prop blade was in the way.

Roger that, it's an inaccurate term of historical origin.

By the way, do you have any information on the system used by the Russians, for example on the Lavochkin La-5?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Henning,

By the way, do you have any information on the system used by the Russians, for example on the Lavochkin La-5?

Sorry I don't. Getting info on guns is very easy compared with finding anything out about the synchro systems. The only thing I know about the Russian system is that the 12.7mm UBS dropped 24% in RoF, from 1,050 to 800 rpm (which still made it about as fast as a .50 M2 Browning unsynchronised...).

Users who are viewing this thread