PRU Spitfires....FR.IX Camera control.

Discussion in 'Aircraft Requests' started by Tony Hill, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Tony Hill

Tony Hill Active Member

Keeping my wife happy
    Hello all,

Obviously the FR.IX's had a gunsight (as they were, I believe conventionally armed). That being the case, can anyone tell me or provide pictures/drawings of, where the Camera Control Box was mounted in these cockpits?

My guess would be high on the right wall, perhaps near or in place of the morse key?

Any help apprectiated.

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "W├╝rzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

.:?:

2. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Hi Tony. You're right, the camera control was mounted on the starboard side of the cockpit, above the undercart control, (well above!). I think I've got a pic or diagram somewhere; if/when I find it, I'll post it up.
    Terry.

3. Tony Hill

Tony Hill Active Member

Keeping my wife happy

Many thanks Terry!!

From a pilot's point of view it seemed like the obvious place (although I must admit that flying with left hand, reaching up with right to use camera controls and looking left at the line markings and target at low alt and high speed must have been INTERESTING!!)

Thanks again

4. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    You're welcome Tony. I'll try and find the info over the weekend, during my 'info hunt' for a couple of other things! I'm fairly certain I've got something, certainly pics of most PR Spits, including the white MkII's and the pink FRIX's., and some details of the F24 and other camera gear.
    Terry.