Radiator weight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Benjdragon

Airman
Sep 18, 2015
What is the weight of a radiator for a liquid cooled engine like on a P-51 or P-39? How much coolant did it hold and how much did the coolant weigh?

The empty weight of a Harrison P-51D radiator is 246.5 pounds. I have changed many of them. The total coolant capacity of the P-51D is about 26 gallons between main and after coolant systems. A figure of nine pounds per gallon is normally used.
Hello. It looks like you are the right person to talk about the P51. I am struggling to find the weight of the coolant pump. Do you have this information? Or maybe from another similar liquid cooled engine aircraft.

Hello. I am struggling to get the weight information of the coolant pump. Do you have this information? Or maybe for another similar liquid cooled engine aircraft?

The P-40N changed to aluminum radiators to save weight. Don't have a weight figure but picking one up isn't a problem; each aircraft had two radiators and an oil cooler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread