RAF night fighters overall black scheme ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Chief Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,

Another stupid question... :D
Which differences in color between RDM2a and DTD 308 scheme ?
When did exactly the night fighters overall black scheme is replaced by MSG overall, with Dark Green disruptive upper surfaces ?
I'm intrigued by a Beaufighter Mk.If represented with Dark Green disruptive upper surfaces and MSG under surfaces during Summer 1942 ? Is it not a little early for that camo scheme ?
I understood that this camo was from October 1942...

TIA, regards
Stéph

According to my reference the MSG/DG colours were introduced on 01.10.1942.

The differences between the RDM2/ RDM2a Special Night and the DTD 308 Night finishes... the DTD 308 was the original night camouflage colour introduced in 1937. It was a mixture of Carbon Black and Ultramarine pigments which gave it very dark grey or gunmetal appearance. From September 1939 it began to be superseded by Special Night which used only Carbon Black pigment of a size larger than that used in other paints. This was intended to give it a very matt finish, hence the term special. It was often described as a sooty black. The difference between RDM 2 and RDM 2a was chemical only and there was no difference in their appearance. There were two problems with the new RDM 2 finish. It had a detrimental affect on the aircraft's performance and it wore away very easily, often due to faulty application. Because RMD 2 was in short supply, DTD 308 was sometimes used as an undercoat. As the RMD 2 wore away the aircraft became very patchy, the DTD 308 being smoother and shinier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back