Rene Francillion P-51/P-82 book series thoughts/opinions/info?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
After getting P-51B Mustang: NAA's Bastard Stepchild and having read it, I'm left wanting for more, namely part 2, which is in the works. Since such things can't/shouldn't be rushed, I'm looking into more literary options (non-fiction) and the Francillion Mustang/Twin Mustang books have been on my radar for a while.

Has anyone read or purchased them? I know that they have a lot of images, including experimental and test aircraft (many it seems were licensed from Boeing's NAA archives), and it's a two book series. I've heard that the publisher mostly sells them as E-books, though they'll also sell them in print if ordered direct from them (Amazon was selling hard copies, but are currently out of stock). I know from reading snippets about them that they also have a lot of reports on testing and use, and that book 1 is about P-51 series/P-82 development and use by the RAF/British Commonwealth and other nations (many post war), and book 2 is about USAAF/USAF/ANG use and experimental/R&D aircraft.

So, what's the verdict here? Buy or pass?

I purchased book 1 out of curiosity and regretted the decision. Fortunately didn't spend a lot as bought the ebook version. Lots of photos certainly, but many have inaccurate captions. The supporting text is largely 'padding' and to a large degree to what I could see, much 'lifted' from various internet sources - seeing my own words that I had posted across a number of different internet aviation forums and on a couple of Wiki pages relating to RAF Mustangs repeated word for word - not impressed.

So it seems that unless I want a two volume coffee table photo album, it'd be best to pass and save my money for something else. I obviously don't mind photos and such, but I'd like for the info to be as correct as possible and not just plucked from elsewhere (at least give credit for it if you're going that route). I'd probably buy both volumes of WingLeader's Mustang volumes when they're both out, and I'd love to see one on the lightweight P-51s/P-51H (though they never saw British use aside from the XP-51F/G getting tested by the RAF) and the F-82 (though it too never saw British use).

Last edited:
I didn't know he had a two volume e-book series. Of course he did this big 430-page A-4 hardback..... but for French publisher Lela Presse. Fabulous book!

3E760839-3E38-4C07-AC2C-F67D7B8E835C.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back