Hi Grampi,
That is nowhere NEAR a front runner and the engine sounds the same at 140" as it does at 120" if the rpm is the same ... and it IS a constant-speed prop. Neither Strega nor Voodoo run full power for the entire 8 laps or they wouldn't MAKE it for 8 laps. The Merlins get heat-soaked. Thom isn't flying a Merlin and isn't making anywhere NEAR the horsepower that both Strega and Voodoo make, so he isn't absorbing the same heat ... and we can't see his manifold pressure gauge either. Go look at the RARA website and look at the race lap speeds for each lap for the winners and seconds place guys.
Most racers expect Reno to go away because RARA (Reno Air Race Association) is trying to squeeze every dollar from everyone who attends ... and they are hemhoraging money. We'll see.
For those of you who LIKE and follow the races, here's a few shots from today. First, here's your 2014 Champion:
Here's Strega on the same ramp at Planes of Fame:
Some of you may know that Voodoo's crew chief is Reno legend Bill Kerchenfaut, who sometimes expresses his delight with something by sayin "Now that's the cat's a**." To help remind Bill of that, they decorated Voodoo with his favirote expression:
Here''s our flying wing with Strega immediately in front:
They were both "visiting" to film a commercial locally and will be at the museum for a couple of months! It's serendipity in action. All for now.
And, grampi, you never said if you'd make Reno next year. C'mon, let's DO it. I bet I can twist Joe's arm into it (since he crews ona jet racer).
And yes, I'd love to see Dago Red come back to life, either stock or as a racer. It would be great.
And I don't believe the 570 mph at all. At 5,000 feet a stock Mustang will go about 370 mph on 1490 HP (assuming a US-made P-51D). I'll make as assumption that Strega and Voodoo have about an 8% decrease in drag and both make about 3,850 HP. Standard aerodynamic formulas will predict 522 mph. They really can do 540 in a straight line, so my drag reduction estimate SHOULD be about 16.8%. They can obviously can go that fast, but 570 mph would require a drag reduction of 29.3% and I don't belive that or anything close to that. I've been up close to Dago Red and it's clean, but not 30% drag-reduction clean. It didn't even LOOK as clean as Voodoo or Strega, but looks can be deceiving. It's speed suggests it IS fast, but I would never believe 570 mph until they DID it and it was verified. If that happened, it surely would NOT have P-51 wings. It would have to be a very different airfoil.
The other alternative is to have about the same drag as Strega and Voodoo, but it would have to make 4,528 HP to go 570 mph, and I don't believe any Merlin-based engine can do that and live. Further, when I worked for Joe Yancey, we had Dago Red's racing Merlin block in the shop in 2012 and it did NOT have any modifications that suggest another 800+ HP over Strega or Voodoo. The block was twised 7° and we had to deck the block to make it level. Then we had to build up the crank journals and line-bore it to make the crankshaft journals straight again. I say "we" but I mean Joe Yancey, not me. I observed and helped when Joe asked. He also made the missing center main bearing cap (it's unique), which is what they mostly wanted to start with since theirs was missing entirely when the block came into the shop. The bank sold it to the new owners and they came looking for the engine with the police. We said they could have it when they paid the bill and that's how it went down.
It made for an interesting day.