REPUBLIC AVIATION PERFORMANCE DATA - P-47 "M" and

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Let's not forget an old adage about Republic aircraft. Later, when the F-105 was being built, it was suggested that if someone made a runway that went all the way around the work and joined itself, Republic would build an aircraft that couldn't take off from it on a hot day.

The old Thud would take every bit of 9000+ feet to get airborne when loaded to its maximum weight. Me thinks the P-47N was much the same.

In point of fact, the F-105's maximum weight was determined by the nosegear retraction hydraulic pump. It didn't have the poower to retract the nosewheel against the airflow if the airspeed was greater than 225 mph, so the max weight that could be carried and still retract the nosegear after liftoff was the limit! Go figure!

FLYBOYJ said:
wmaxt said:
I belive a fuel "Cell" is lined with a compound to make it self sealing/more resilient to leakage while a welded metal tank is just that a "Fuel Tank". Not trying to be nitpicky but at this level of discussion its an important destinction.

wmaxt

You're on the money wmaxt - cells are also intergrated into the structure as a wet wing and can even include a "bag" which is attached to the structure.

When I was 25 years younger and 30 pounds thinner I was a fuel tank (or cell) inspector... :rolleyes:

What I recall is that the fuel cells on the P-47N had no self-sealing properties. They were rather small and the idea was to have a re-routing system that allowed a damaged cell to be bypassed. It was felt this would result in better surviablity and higher fuel capacity.

Yes C02 is hazardous, but it is perfectly suitable as a fire retardant. It's just dangerous to the crews working on the planes, and those dealing with the stored gas.

=S=

Lunatic

Pilot Relief Tube. (For long missions and final processing of coffee. Use only when desperately needed because it may not work the second time.)

A better comparison would be to have each fighter carry full ammunition but only 50 percent fuel. The other half of the fuel was burned getting to the site of the battle. This isn't perfect but is at least systematic if no better information is available.

- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back