RR Merlin model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

herman1rg

Tech Sergeant
Dec 3, 2008
Can anyone recommend good quality models of the Rolls-Royce Merlin if possible a large scale.

..and that model is of a Packard engine.

Did you ever find a model?

Doesnt matter it says Rolls Royce on the cam boxes and anyway Packard engines were to all intents and purposes identical to RR built engines. According to my late father Coastal command Lancasters in use after the war sometimes flew with a mix of Packard and RR engines, whatever was to hand was used.

Doesnt matter it says Rolls Royce on the cam boxes and anyway Packard engines were to all intents and purposes identical to RR built engines. According to my late father Coastal command Lancasters in use after the war sometimes flew with a mix of Packard and RR engines, whatever was to hand was used.

I won't begin to correct you. Your animation speaks volumes.

Please correct me, if I am wrong I would like to know where I am wrong.

Sure thing: The model is of a Packard engine, not a RR engine, because the model exhibits components that are Packard specific. However the model is advertises as a RR Merlin. It is not just the rocker covers that are misplaced.

Packard did not just produce engines "... all intents and purposes identical to RR built engines". Packard manufactured; Packard-Merlins (copies of RR Merlins for RAF use) but also Packard V1650 for USAF use that had different requirements than RAF and developed US specific changes.

It is true that RAF used a mix on multi engined aeroplanes, but only between RR Merlins and Packard Merlins that were the equivalent engine, e.g. Mk24 (RR Merlin) with Mk224 (Packard Merlin equivalent), but not with Packard V1650.

Sure thing: The model is of a Packard engine, not a RR engine, because the model exhibits components that are Packard specific. However the model is advertises as a RR Merlin. It is not just the rocker covers that are misplaced.

Packard did not just produce engines "... all intents and purposes identical to RR built engines". Packard manufactured; Packard-Merlins (copies of RR Merlins for RAF use) but also Packard V1650 for USAF use that had different requirements than RAF and developed US specific changes.

It is true that RAF used a mix on multi engined aeroplanes, but only between RR Merlins and Packard Merlins that were the equivalent engine, e.g. Mk24 (RR Merlin) with Mk224 (Packard Merlin equivalent), but not with Packard V1650.

I always understood that all Packard built engines used the V-1650 designator code and that only when fitted to RAF aircraft were they officially called Merlins. I know Packard used locally sourced engine components/ancillaries and was also the first production to use the Wright supercharger drive on the V-1650-3 but I never knew that they built different engines for the USAF apart from the P 82 engines with opposite tractor.

The Lancaster engines confuse me the RR Mk 24 was equivalent to the Packard Mk38 with 9+ lbs boost which seems to have been replaced with the Mk 224 when 18+ lbs boost was introduced however the RR engines seem to have had either +12 or +16 lbs boost. I dont know the difference between the various XX marks which seem to have come in a bewildering variety of models and obviously need to do some research. Prop shaft differences also seem to have generated different model numbers :confused:

As to the cam boxes I came across an engine in a German museum labelled as a Packard V-1650-1 from a P40 that had RR cam boxes. Wish I had taken a photo now, I wonder if it was a Merlin mislabelled or was a genuine P40 engine that had been rebuilt with RR cam boxes.

I always understood that all Packard built engines used the V-1650 designator code and that only when fitted to RAF aircraft were they officially called Merlins. I know Packard used locally sourced engine components/ancillaries and was also the first production to use the Wright supercharger drive on the V-1650-3 but I never knew that they built different engines for the USAF apart from the P 82 engines with opposite tractor.

The Lancaster engines confuse me the RR Mk 24 was equivalent to the Packard Mk38 with 9+ lbs boost which seems to have been replaced with the Mk 224 when 18+ lbs boost was introduced however the RR engines seem to have had either +12 or +16 lbs boost. I dont know the difference between the various XX marks which seem to have come in a bewildering variety of models and obviously need to do some research. Prop shaft differences also seem to have generated different model numbers :confused:

As to the cam boxes I came across an engine in a German museum labelled as a Packard V-1650-1 from a P40 that had RR cam boxes. Wish I had taken a photo now, I wonder if it was a Merlin mislabelled or was a genuine P40 engine that had been rebuilt with RR cam boxes.

All Packard engines were fitted with Bendix-Stromberg carbs (except the very late fuel injected types), US magnetos, epicyclic gearbox drive, and certain other changes (fuel pump, improved water pump). The Packard Merlins were equipped with SBAC No5 prop shaft, versus the Packard V1650 SAE50 prop shafts.

UK built Lancasters were equipped with a range of RR Merlins; starting with Merlin XX, then Mk22 and Mk24. Canadian built Lanc MkIII and MkX had Packard Merlin 28 and 38 (equivalent to RR Merlin 22), but later replaced with Packard Merlin 224 (equivalent to RR Merlin 24). (Packard 28 used the US designed two piece cylinder bank, whereas the Packard 38 used the RR designed two piece bank).

P40 aeroplanes had both Allison V1710 and Packard engines - both Packard Merlin and Packard V1650. But, they would not have had RR rocker covers originally. RR rockers are often retrofitted by owners of Packard engines (both Merlin and V1650) as there is great value associated with the name. The original Packard covers are the same shape, but plain except for a 6-digit number on the back end.

While all this hornblowing is interesting, has anyone found that large scale model of the beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back