Russian strike missions in ukraine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I disagreed with the invasion of Iraq. I didn't think it was justified.

If, by Serbia, you mean the Kosovo War (1998-1999), that was approved by the UN because of the humanitarian disaster.
Yes, there was a humanitarian disaster in Kosovo.
Unfortunately, there was no specific UN directive approving the war.

Yes, there was a humanitarian disaster in Kosovo.
Unfortunately, there was no specific UN directive approving the war.

Correct. UN Resolution 1199 voiced "grave concern...[by] the excessive and indiscriminate use of force by Serbian security forces and the Yugoslav Army." Some 230,000 Albanians had been displaced from their homes, including approx 30.000 who were hiding in woods but without shelter or warm clothing, and with winter just around the corner.

Yes, Serbia was a sovereign nation but it had a history of ehnic cleansing. Given the likelihood of that occurring again, and with Belgrade seemingly embarking on an an all-out assault against ethnic Albanians, it was deemed necessary for NATO to intervene.

The situation in Ukraine is rather different. Even if we assume there were atrocities committed by Ukrainian forces resisting the Russian incursion into the Donbas, there were much easier ways to resolve that situation without invading the entire country of Ukraine and bombarding cities into rubble.

Correct. UN Resolution 1199 voiced "grave concern...[by] the excessive and indiscriminate use of force by Serbian security forces and the Yugoslav Army." Some 230,000 Albanians had been displaced from their homes, including approx 30.000 who were hiding in woods but without shelter or warm clothing, and with winter just around the corner.

Yes, Serbia was a sovereign nation but it had a history of ehnic cleansing. Given the likelihood of that occurring again, and with Belgrade seemingly embarking on an an all-out assault against ethnic Albanians, it was deemed necessary for NATO to intervene.

Look at me, a Croat not verbally attacking the Milošević's regime whenever opportunity presents itself...
It was deemed by the NATO themselves to intervene, there was no UN resolution that said: 'Okay, bomb and invade Serbia'.

The situation in Ukraine is rather different. Even if we assume there were atrocities committed by Ukrainian forces resisting the Russian incursion into the Donbas, there were much easier ways to resolve that situation without invading the entire country of Ukraine and bombarding cities into rubble.

You do know that I'm against the Russian aggression against Ukraine.

Look at me, a Croat not verbally attacking the Milošević's regime whenever opportunity presents itself...
It was deemed by the NATO themselves to intervene, there was no UN resolution that said: 'Okay, bomb and invade Serbia'.

You do know that I'm against the Russian aggression against Ukraine.

I know Tomo, and this isn't an argument...it's a discussion. I know your position on the Russian aggression. Unfortunately, war is messy and never clean-cut, and the political reasons for embarking on it are almost inevitably fuzzy. The decision to deploy NATO forces was based on the humanitarian situation. One has to ask why is NATO not responding militarily to the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine? The only logical answer is that the big Russian bear is involved, whereas it wasn't a player in the Kosovo War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back