Saab J-21 +18a +b

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

johnbr

2nd Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2006
London Ontario Canada
Last edited:
Nice pictures, the J-21 never really gets credit for its use. I saw some of the descriptions of their actions against "intruding" German aircraft during the war, it was a surprise to the BF-109s.

Always thought the pusher concept had merit. Maybe retract the landing gear inward to make the booms smaller and more aerodynamic. Or use a tailless design (P-56) maybe with a canard nose elevator (P-55).
Pusher with an air cooled radial seemed the way to go. No coolant radiator, about the same frontal area as a liquid cooled engine after scoops for coolant radiator aren't needed and much better aerodynamics with the engine in back instead of up front. Tricycle landing gear, nose armament (without synchronization) and lots of space for fuel in the fuselage and wings.

My understanding is that cooling was always a problem.
I heard that too. I think the J-21 (like the XP-54) was using the propeller to draw cooling air through the ducted wing and integral coolant radiators while the plane was on the ground and relying on ram air when in flight.
The XP-55 and XP-56 had a cooling fan drawing air through the radiators (XP-55) or through the actual air cooled radial engine (XP-56) similar to the FW190 except in reverse. It was said that the XP-55 ran hot on the ground but too cool at altitude. Oh well, the FW190 had cooling problems early on it it's development too.

Users who are viewing this thread