Sea fang vs Sea fury vs XP-72 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder what the effect of a few holes in the system would have to surrounding structure or equipment
If you look at Johnson's experience he couldn't outrun the attacking FW190 because the pipes on the boost side where punctured, the FW190 pulled along side him twice without a problem so his plane was flying but disabled, it was just luck the 190 that found him had no cannon ammunition left.

I think the P-47 will be very durable against 0.50 caliber but not so much against 20 mm or 30 mm on BF109 and FW-190

No I didn't [insinuate it], you should try reading my posts and understanding them before commenting,

Or, alternatively, you could try owning your words rather than insulting my intelligence.

what I did say is by late '43-'44 onwards both cannons and the .50 BMG where reliable weapons with reliable effective ammunition and any fighter receiving a solid hit by them was either disabled at best but most likely destroyed, either way the aircraft was no longer in fighting condition and the pilot was nursing it home if possible. And just a final point, one of the top scoring P47 pilots, Neel Kearby was shot down and killed by a Ki 43, an aircraft armed with only two 7.7mm, one 7.7mm and one 12.7mm or two 12.7mm machine guns, so the toughest most rugged fighter made shot down by what was arguably the least rugged and lightly armed one, I'll stand by my statement that any fighter receiving a solid burst of fire is in trouble.

Phrased like that, with more nuance, is much more accurate.

My experience with supercharged Diesels is not extensive being with pretty much confined to old GMC engines.

They were 2 stroke diesels with either a single stage mechanical supercharger and they don't run with the supercharger not working, or didn't run very well.

They did offer versions with a turbo supercharger but the one that I drove (for 14 years) used a single stage turbo charger. The turbo supercharger totally replaced the single stage supercharger. We never had a truck diesel that a two stage supercharger.

We did have some 4 stroke Ford Ambulance engines with turbo chargers that the intake system could move on (turbo pipe could move between the turbo charger and the intake manifold) ) and they could run but very poorly. Also single stack engines.
But I never drove them, just saw them when they staggered back to the garage.

I am not any claim to to other companies but I really don't see the need for a two stage supercharger on a diesel engine.
Not unless your truck needs to run at sea level one day and needs in the mountains at close to 10,000ft a few days later.

The P-47 had an engine driven supercharger and could make 2000 hp at 2000ft or so without the turbo doing anything at all. However at 20,000ft or so the engine was only making for around 1200hp if you were lucky. Not enough for in combat but the engine should actually run pretty good (no missing, etc )

(On the subject of stereotypes...) Fake news! It's photoshopped! ALL Japanese aircraft are fragile tinderboxes waiting to ignite (he says while gently poking the bear with a very long stick...) :)
No Photoshop. They were fragile because they were light. Lighter than air. Cut their wings and they float. Until ignited.
Looking for my coat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back