Service records

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stuart3009

Airman
Sep 9, 2019
Is after service records for Ingvar Fredrik Håkansson everything from time he joined up etc

No sorry I've should have said 165 squadron Royal Air Force

Ok, the process for obtaining RAF service records is rather painful and slow. The following link describes how to go about it.

Ok I thought u could get them off line as I've managed to obtain an Australian pilots service record online

Nope...only way to get them is to submit the application, pay the fee and then be patient 'cos it can take a LONG time to get the records (and it's gotten worse with COVID).

Ok I thought u could get them off line as I've managed to obtain an Australian pilots service record online
Different countries have different rules in relation to access to service records of personnel and who can access them.

Australian arrangement is that all WW2 service personnel records will eventually be digitised and available online - this is partly driven by desire to conserve the original documents and reduce actual handling of documents to a minimum. Note, some aspects of individual RAAF personnel service files may not be available due to rules with respect to years elapsed, information potentially still being sensitive and other exemptions - in those cases the relevant section of the file is redacted. UK, Canada, New Zealand and other Allied Commonwealth nations that had personnel serving in the RAF or their relevant Air Forces during WW2 all have different rules in relation to access to personnel records, and level of access to records.

In the UK, for a member of the RAF, if you put in a request for a copy of the person's RAF military record, what you will get if your application is approved within the parameters set out by the UK Government, is basically a copy of the person's summary of record of service. This is a high level summary of key dates and details of the person's service captured in two large pages. You will not get a copy of the full personal file of that person, as you would with the Australian arrangement. Currently following the impacts of Covid in the UK over the past few years, there are still significant delays in requests for access to records due to the backlog that built up over that time.

I would suggest you have a look at the website/forum RAF Commands RAFCommands Forums which has a number of sections with explanatory questions and answers about accessing and understanding the full range of records available in relation to the RAF, Squadron histories and individual personnel service histories.

Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back