Some thing new for jets

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PWR4360-59B

Senior Airman
May 27, 2008
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbNMYzhLt0

Yes high octane kerosene at 1:21. So where do you get it? So I guess jet engine do have a knocking problem, just like piston engines, Oh and that high temperature
pushes the structural integrity of the "aircraft" to the limit. Wow, we can learn some new things here. Or is this a great fake news deal?

Last edited:
"High octane kerosene" is nonsense; precooled engines, which are designed for hypersonic operation use cryogenic fuels.

Not to put a damper on the party, but how much disposable payload/cabin space will be lost to carry the cooling fluid?

Not to put a damper on the party, but how much disposable payload/cabin space will be lost to carry the cooling fluid?

None; the cooling fluid is the fuel. Liquid hydrogen is used to cool the inlet air, and then burned.

I doubt any jet engine needs high octane fuel to run properly.

Different fuels, however, will give different power based on their properties, such as energy density.

As for cooling the inlet air, I would think that would reduce the efficiency of the engine.

Cooler inlet temps make a huge difference. Being at a low enough altitude for there to be a bit 'o density helps as well.

So yeah I've been joking about the high octane for jets, but there is suppose to be something they add to the fuel to make it so it doesn't burn so fast if the plane crashes isn't there?

So yeah I've been joking about the high octane for jets, but there is suppose to be something they add to the fuel to make it so it doesn't burn so fast if the plane crashes isn't there?

There were some experiments with anti-misting kerosene, but the tests mostly showed it didn't work.

No additives that have been commercially successful.

JP-5 is aboard USN ships due its higher flash-point.

Users who are viewing this thread