spit mk1/11 v Hurricane Mk1/11 turning radius

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kryten

Senior Airman
Jul 11, 2010
Llantrisant
Hi guys could anyone help me with a technical matter regarding the relative turn radius of the Spit compared to the Hurricane?

the 1940-1941 models are of interest and I was looking for either straight comparisons in height and time taken to turn 360 or a turn chart for them!

I recently had the pleasure of discussing the merits of these types with a WW2 veteran and he was describing how the Hurricane was able to turn tighter than the Spit in tests thier squadron carried out when they were re equipped just after the BOB.

not trying to contradict the gent simply curious as to the relative merits of the two at differing altitudes!
many thanks.

Hello Kryten

Hello Kryten.HoHun calculated the turn-performance of the Hurri I,II here
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/p-40-vs-yak-1-vs-hurricane-17485.html.
I have some doubts about HoHun (henning) calculations since i never saw any applied mathematical formula he uses to obtain his results, only programm paths i don't understand.

His calculation refering the Spitfire I you can see at the Kurfürst-Me 109-forum.
From this the Spitfire was a little bit better below 4500m,above this high they are fairly equal.Datas at groud-level : Sp. 25 deg/sec,Hurri I 23.5 deg/sec.Regards,Achi
Should calculations be true, each plane has it's own flight caracteristics. So even if the Spit turns faster (ToT), does not mean it should turn tighter (radius) at the same time.
Hurrie is probably performing it's turn al lower speed. No disrespect to your misteroius vet. without a name.
He has no reasons to lie...
Moreover the best ToT is performed as faster speed and lower AoA than at smallest radius of turn. Exactly as for the fastest climb or highest climb slope, two different regimes...

Regards

Hello VG-33.What means "ToT" and "AoA" ?
That there is a difference between calculations and the reality,especially in case of turn-abillity,is clear for me .Nevertheless in my opinion it is a valuable contribution .Sadly,I have not the ability to calculate this.

Hello VG-33.What means "ToT" and "AoA" ?
That there is a difference between calculations and the reality,especially in case of turn-abillity,is clear for me .Nevertheless in my opinion it is a valuable contribution .Sadly,I have not the ability to calculate this.

Sorry for being late

Time of turn, Angle of Attack.

The problem with HoHun curves, it's just they should have been mathematically justified, before being tranlated in programming language. He'd never succeed to explain that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back