Spitfire guarded by fixed bayonet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Look at the size of that rifle. Even without the bayonet it looks to be about six feet long.

Supermarine-Spitfire-P8332-at-old-city-hall-Toronto--ca-1943--Mike-Filey-photo-collection.jpg

Harold A. Skaarup Web page

The rifle appears to be a P-14, roughly the same size as the Lee Enfield, Garrand, and the Mauser Kar 98K, and was standard issue to British second-line units, RAF, Home Guard etc.

When I used to work over near the Washington Navy Yard in the District of Columbia there was a street that you would come down that lead directly to the Ceremonial Gate used only by the CNO and hos family and their official visitors (I think it was 8th St). Everyone else would have to turn either left or right at M St and head to a different gate.

For a while at least, I was pretty sure that they would find the shortest Marine Guard and give him the biggest rifle to stand there and make sure no one other than official users ever tried to go through that gate. I wish I could find a picture. I just remember how the gun looked almost as long at the Marine was tall. :oops:

Can't tell any details on the rifle but due to the length probably a P-14 or maybe a 1917 Enfield. Doesn't look SMLE to me. RAF guy with the rifle so assume this was taken about 1940.

Did the RAF use P-14s?

No idea what the plane is. That landing must have been spectacular.

Ah, thanks Chris. I didn't look at the link, but thought it might be Canada first, as more logical for "War Bonds" or recruitment purposes, or USA second. The "Bay" on the ram destination board "threw" me a bit, hence my guess at SF.

Depends if that guy is RAF or Canadian air force to what rifle he got.

Doubt it's a P-14 if Canadia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back