Spitfire /Hurricane P8 Compass

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

englander

Recruit
Jul 9, 2013
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to open by asking advice on a recent purchase. I have a p8 compass in good condition complete with alcohol,no leaks and fully functioning .I've purchased this as a gift for a family friend and fellow enthusiast .

My question is this; are there any dangers associated with owning the compass given the radium content for the luminous graphics and any other radioactive content.A comment from a fellow military enthusiast has me worried :(

Not sure whether to carry on with the plan or getting shot of it double quick; any advice welcome, Thanks

The principal danger is from dust. As the radium decays it effectively breaks down the other constituents of the original luminous paint which becomes unstable and flakes off producing a dust. As long as the unit is still sealed (and nobody decides to open it to the atmosphere) then the danger is minimal.
You will find much discussion of this on sites dedicated to watches, particularly those who collect antique watches whose luminous dials were prepared in the same way. Unless you are going to spend hours in very close proximity to the device (as you would wearing a watch) then I don't think you have much to worry about.
Cheers
Steve

I agree with Steve. As long as the glass isn't cracked, or opened, there shouldn't be as problem. And if you got this from where i think you got it - you beat me to it !!

Thanks for the replies gents, I'll ensure the recipient isn't tempted to get busy with the screwdrivers!

Sorry if I sabotaged your potential purchase :oops: It's a nice un-messed with example but sadly, no box. I may be tempted to construct a replica just to keep it protected (don't worry, I won't pass it off as genuine, it will be marked as a replica).

I drove it back from the seller yesterday sat next to my i phone compass....the old instrument was steady and accurate, very impressed.

Thanks again

No problem, and great stuff!
Instead of making a transit box, how about making a mounting bracket, of the type used on the Spit and Hurricane perhaps? Then, in turn, mount this on a polished wood base?
If you go to the Modelling section, and look at the thread 'Spitfire MkIX cockpit 1:1' by Darryl, (Tony Hill), you can see how he made a bracket for his cockpit, and the colours etc.
Just a thought.

Cheers!

Terry.

In the early 1900's there were numerous adverts for astounding health, thanks to radium and radium based products !

Our "publicitaires" quickly understood what we're missing.
See:

Google Image Result for http://media.paperblog.fr/i/246/2469038/radium-etait-mode-L-1.jpeg

Google Image Result for http://www.dissident-media.org/infonucleaire/Laine_Oradium2.jpg

It has to kill some lime certainly !
I would cherish this Hurricane compass. Would keep it in evidence in the lounge.
Not to be mixed with baby's pudding of course.

Well it looks like it will keep us all warm at night ! Thanks for the info.

And thanks for the mounting idea, I may go that route, time is my only limiting factor as it's for a birthday. Either way I'll post pics of the results.

Nice responsive forum this!

IMG_2039.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2040.JPG

Time dictated replica transit box was the way to go. WIP pics attached, catches, buffer pads in lid and weathering to go. Hand cut stencils were a b*gger !
Also cheated with joints and just glued/ screwed rather than finger joints. Paint is mix of inductrial grey enamel and grey acrylic primer.

Last edited:
from what I can see, it looks the biz! But, the pics are still loading as I type !
At 2.4 MB, they're rather large, so for future reference, you need to re-size pics to no more than 800 x 600 pxl, otherwise they'll slow down the forum systems.

Thanks, apologies, I'll delete and resize right away

Ahh, I don't seem to be able to edit the pics. Can you delete from your end please and I'll repost reduced pics? Thanks

Last edited:
I think only a 'Mod' can alter a member's posts, but you can do it.
Just click on the 'Go Advanced' button, and then find 'Manage Attachments'. Pics and other attachments can be deleted, edited etc via this option. If you don't have a convenient photo-editing programme, then you can download 'Irfanview' for free. It's quick and easy to use, and provides a simple system for re-sizing, colour corrections etc. And it must be really simple - 'cos I can use it !!
Cheers!

Thanks, I'll post a pic of the finished thing. Those 1940's vintage hook and eye catches are proving difficult to replicate!

Buffers and catches done and some light weathering. It's not a museum replica but good enough for display I hope ...
Exterior.JPG
Interior.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back