Spitfire LF Mk.IXC (MKII Gyro sight?)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

zipo

Recruit
Dec 11, 2006
Hiya i thought this would be the place to get something cleared up.

I dont want to mention the site as im not sure about linking it to this sight but i will say we are modding the spitfire to include the MKII gyro computing gunsight we were unsure if this particular model was too early to have it included.. The Spitfire LF Mk.IXC ?
Ok now i know the MKII Gyro sight was factory fitted on all spits from the summer of 1944. but im not sure exactly when.

please can you help.

factory fitted on all spits from the summer of 1944.

The RAE was still gleaning data from gun camera films on GM2 equipped Spitfires of all Marques as late as May 1945. I would be surprised if all Spitfires came equipped with a CGS sight. In fact, that would be a bad move according to the factual data amassed by the RAE.

A training program was enacted by the RAF in the last six months of the war to bring the CGS lethality up and over the fixed projector sights lethality.

The GM2 reflex site was just proving itself to be more lethal in combat.

The British CGS sight beat out the GM2 reflex sight in lethality by a meager 3% over the same time period by the end of the war.

The technology was just very new, far from perfected, required some experience, and training to use effectively in combat.

The Germans also produced and fielded several hundred examples of the EZ42. It was commonly used in the Me-262, FW190A8/9, FW-190D9, and Bf-109 series.

Between the British and German CGS sights, it depends on who you ask as to which sight was better.

The British describe the EZ42 as the most modern sight in the world. The German experience relates it improved accuracy almost 2:1 over the fixed reflex sight including accurate shots at ranges over 400M and 15 degrees deflection, the sighting limits of a fixed reflex sight. However they acknowledge that its effective use takes considerable training especially in fighter to fighter combat. The German data was gathered in the form of operational trials and subjective experience reports. The British did not feel this methodology yielded sufficiently accurate scientific data.

The Germans felt the British CGS margin of error was too large with temperature and altitude variations. The British felt the German testing was not an accurate reflection of their system.

The USAAF devoted more hours to training and averaged almost twice the flying experience in its pilots over the RAF. This is reflected in their experience with CGS sights.

The British and Germans found their was little practical difference in lethality between CGS sights and fixed reflex sights. Once again, a reflection of the aircrew training programs.

All the best,

Crumpp

Are you trying to find the month at which the sight was being installed?

Haha, Crumpp. i recently got my hands on a copy of 'Spitfire: The History' by Morgan and Shacklady.. wow. I think I'm going to forget about homework for a good while.

That is an excellent book Pappy. It sets the standard IMHO for a specific aircraft history.

thats all very interesting - really it is but it dosnt answer my question :|

i want to know if the The Spitfire LF Mk.IXC would have had a gyro sight fitted or not

thankyou

btw you may have read this
In the summer and autumn of 1944 four major improvements incorporated in
Spitfire fighter variants at that time deserve special mention in this account.
In order of thier entry into service they were: the installation of the gyro gunsight,
the fitting of the 'E' Type wing and armament, the fitting of the bubble canopy,
together with a redesigned and cut-back fuselage, and the installation of additional
fuel tanks iin the rear fuselage. These Modifications greatly increased the fighting
ability of the Spitfire.

Following four years of hard work at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough,
the MKII Gyro Gunsight went into large scale production at the end of 1943.

: Late Mark Spitfire Aces 1942–45 - Alfred Price - Osprey puplishing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back