Storch and Argus As 10 engines (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

simast

Recruit
Aug 28, 2012
Hello,

New user here.. and I am obsessed with the Fi 156 "Storch" :)

I can't get enough info is the Argus As 10 engine usage. Pretty much all the sources universally agree that the Argus As 10 C-3 (240 hp) engine was used for the plane. However, I have also found multiple sources (mostly of German origin which I tend to trust) that claim some of the variants (starting with C-3s) were equipped with either Argus As 10 P-1 (270 hp) or even Argus As 10 R engines.

They mention that the reason we see engine cowlings removed in some of the photos is because the P engines tended to overheat (later solved with factory-solution by installing larger oil coolers). Also, that the D "ambulance" Storch versions greatly benefited from the extra horse power of the P engine. Apparently, only P and R versions had an electrical ignition system (starter).

Anyway, this is all I can find on the P engine usage. Has anyone have any other info on the subject?

Sources that mention P engine variant in one way or another are:

- Manfred Griehl, "Flugzeug-Profile #34: Fieseler Fi 156 Storch", 1991
- Jerry l. Campbell , "Fieseler Fi-156 Storch in action, Aircraft No. 198", ISBN: 0-89747-493-7, 2005
- Randy Wilson, "Flying the Fieseler Fi 156 Storch", 1995, The Dispatch magazine, Volume 20, Number 2, Summer

Thanks,
Simas

Last edited:
Slightly OT, Argus AS-10 C3 Engine's manual scanned; the site has several 'Storch' related material as well

Argus As 10 C-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back