Suggested makes for JU88 & Lancaster kits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FowellBox

Airman
Oct 26, 2020
I would like to make 1/72 models of Wittgensteins' JU88 in July 1942 and a 207 Squadron RAF Mk 1 Lancaster from the same period.
I started another thread on the subject of these aircraft elsewhere on this excellent site.
Can anyone recommend suitable kits to make these aircraft?
Brian

Not sure about the Ju88. as 1/72nd is not a scale I normally work in. However, for the Lancaster, I would suggest that the best option would be the current Airfix kit ( not to be confused with their 1980s release, which is still fairly good, or the even earlier, extremely vintage, 1950s kit).

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I rather like the JU88 in 1/48 scale but a Lancaster in the same scale would be quite large. Does anyone do a Lancaster in1/48 scale?
Brian

Hi Brian. I think the only company making a 1/48 Lancaster right now is Tamiya but I have heard there are inaccuracies with the kit. Google "Tamiya Lancaster reviews" and you should get some useful info. It's also quite pricey I believe.

As for 1/72 Ju88C-6. I know that Hasegawa does one Junkers Ju88C-6 'Nachtjagdgeschwader', Hasegawa 00852 (2007).
Tamiya as well but I think this is a rebox of an Italeri kit: Junkers Ju88 C-6 Heavy Fighter, Tamiya 60777 (2007)

In 1/48, ICM have recently released one which I hear is nice
I have built a G-6 done by Dragon which is pretty nice as well. They did a C-6 also which Revell have reboxed.

So lots to chose from.

Last edited:
I agree with Andy re the Tamiya 1/48th scale Lanc.
The kit is nearly fifty years old and, although very good for it's time, it is fairly basic by today's standards, and inaccurate in some areas, although a nice model can still be made "out of the box". As mentioned, it's also quite expensive, for what's on offer, even on the second-hand market, and yes, it's big, with a wingspan in excess of two feet, one of the reasons I haven't built mine yet (although I have started on the corrections needed), as I need to clear an area for display !
A new, accurate, detailed Lanc in 1/48th scale is long overdue.

Users who are viewing this thread