Tamiya 1/48th Scale Corsair USS Saidor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jimh

Senior Airman
Feb 6, 2009
Ohio
community.webshots.com
Just finished up this F4U-1D/FG1-D from Tamiya. Such a beautiful kit, this thing builds itself. I experimented a lot with this build. It's painted with Tamiya, Alclad, and Mr. Color paints, all airbrushed through an Iwata at 10-15psi. I used the hairspray chipping method for the wing, oil paints for paint fading and a salt filter for the prop wear. Youtube tutorials are invaluable! This model is an homage to Brian Reynolds (now sold) recent restoration that he kept at the Olympic Flight Museum. This was the first Corsair I saw in person at the Columbus Ohio Airshow in 1976 when she was still owned by the Canadian Warplane Heritage.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3364.JPG
    IMG_3364.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3375.JPG
    IMG_3375.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3388.JPG
    IMG_3388.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
Just finished up this F4U-1D/FG1-D from Tamiya. Such a beautiful kit, this thing builds itself. I experimented a lot with this build. It's painted with Tamiya, Alclad, and Mr. Color paints, all airbrushed through an Iwata at 10-15psi. I used the hairspray chipping method for the wing, oil paints for paint fading and a salt filter for the prop wear. Youtube tutorials are invaluable! This model is an homage to Brian Reynolds (now sold) recent restoration that he kept at the Olympic Flight Museum. This was the first Corsair I saw in person at the Columbus Ohio Airshow in 1976 when she was still owned by the Canadian Warplane Heritage.

Jim
Gorgeous! I like the mention of the cocked tailwheel - matches the rudder position I have the 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1/2 Bird Cage Corsair waiting to be built. Kit #61046. Decal set includes VF-17 USS Bunker Hill, VMF-213 USMC, and VMF(N)-532 USMC. I'll check out the hairspray chipping method and other techniques you used.

Question: Is the tape over the wing gun muzzles a storage protection measure to keep them clean for the next mission?

Gorgeous! I like the mention of the cocked tailwheel - matches the rudder position I have the 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1/2 Bird Cage Corsair waiting to be built. Kit #61046. Decal set includes VF-17 USS Bunker Hill, VMF-213 USMC, and VMF(N)-532 USMC. I'll check out the hairspray chipping method and other techniques you used.

Question: Is the tape over the wing gun muzzles a storage protection measure to keep them clean for the next mission?

Thanks bdefen, I try to animate the controls on all my builds, kinda gives it some 3D dimension. I'm glad you like it. The tape over the guns seems to be a measure for dirt and salt air protection. A lot of ETO ground crews did the same thing. I highly recommend watching 'Scale A Ton" and "Plasmo" on youtube...brilliant tutorials. Good luck with your builds!!! Thanks for writing.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back