Tanks post-2022: what now?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I haven't kept up with some of the discussions but "The Chieftian" has had several videos on this subject.
His opinion is that lot depends on the upgrade/s. If you can fit modern vision equipment on an old tank you can get a useful vehicle, not first rate but useful.
If you have a more modern base tank but older generation vision equipment you are the target, it doesn't matter how good the gun/ammo and armor is. Your opponent has a better chance of seeing you first and you are trying to survive a first round hit and catch up.
Really old tank with good vision gets out of the way/hides and waits for the APCs to show up to brighten the night sky.

I haven't kept up with some of the discussions but "The Chieftian" has had several videos on this subject.
His opinion is that lot depends on the upgrade/s. If you can fit modern vision equipment on an old tank you can get a useful vehicle, not first rate but useful.
If you have a more modern base tank but older generation vision equipment you are the target, it doesn't matter how good the gun/ammo and armor is. Your opponent has a better chance of seeing you first and you are trying to survive a first round hit and catch up.
Really old tank with good vision gets out of the way/hides and waits for the APCs to show up to brighten the night sky.
Although i have the chieftan in very high regard i just want to point to something he missed.

Drones.

Drones also can be launched by or for to aid to, the aging tanks. Relaying video or as attack craft.
Its giving a blind man a visious ferousious dog and a stick to point it at the target, while it can survive in 2024 with its outdated gun killing anything else than more modern armour.
UKR just does this with more then moderate succes.

Youtube: Bradley vs T-90.

I don't post links since there were dozens of them in the last month.
Probably, an exceptional case. Bad circumstances for T-90, very lucky(and skilled) Bradley crew, etc...
But interesting experience.

I read the account of the Bradley's attack on the T-90.

The Ukrainian crew, who's well seasoned, laid down continuous fire on the T-90's optics and other weak points until the tank became disabled and started smoking.

The combination of the Bradley staying in motion, coupled with accurate and rapid firing, is what allowed it to prevail.

Hat's off to that M2 crew, well done, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back