The Best Biplane Fighter of WW2

Best Biplane Fighter of WW2?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this!

Through a loophole, I present to you THE best biplane fighter of World War Two.

Below: The Hurricane had its
origins in the Hawker Fury
biplane. One Hurricane was
given a jettisonable top wing
to extend its range for
delivery flights.

file00027wc.jpg

*EDIT*~I forgot, source is my copy of FIGHTER THE WORLD'S FINEST COMBAT AIRCRAFT - 1914 TO THE PRESENT DAY, by Jim Winchester; a Parragon Publishing Book.

In itself, the airflow would probably push it back low enough to chop off the tail...

I'm guessing a) there were charges to blow it off, b) it was performed in a dive so it fell safely, or c) both.

I would think the lift generated by the wing would pull it up enough to clear the tail. It also would not be 'blown' at a high speed.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
no it wouldn't, and that top wing was only to carry fuel on ferry flights..........

Would with me flying it ;)

Bit vulnerable aint it? Couple of hits on the wing and kaboom...

I would have to say the Polikarpov I-153 is the best biplane fighter. During WW2 Goering actually made an order to Luftwaffe Pilots to stay away as the Germans were losing too many aircraft to this biplane fighter. In Russia it was very fast and powerful. I am surprised you are considering the Gladiator and the CR-42 which didn't really last that long. In mainline service the Gladiator was gone by WW2, and the Italians really didn't have too much better than the CR-42 to replace it with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back