The last surviving RAF SABS bombsight in existence?!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SplitRz

Senior Airman
Feb 6, 2021
Well, here it is. Another find down at the very excellent BDAC Museum in deepest, darkest Wiltshire. Its a museum I'd heartily recommend. Small, but full of interesting things and largely manned by staff who worked (and some who flew) at RAF Boscombe Down.

It seems incredible that this may well be the last example, but here it is. As used by 617 to drop Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs.

IMG_20240713_114702.jpg

The wiki entry for the Sabs is pretty comprehensive. I can't find a precise answer, but it must lie within the following:

SABS description, design and use
"Prior to the mission, or early on in flight, bomb data was entered on two settings dials on the top of the range unit. These set the trail scale and bomb class letter, estimating the amount the bomb would slow in forward motion (trail) and how quickly it would reach the ground due to the effects of terminal velocity (class). These settings were not changed during the mission.[45]"

So "T.V. Range" is almost certainly the range of terminal velocities for the bomb category and "Scale" is the bomb class letter.

I wonder if the bombardiers were expected to grease pencil in the types of bombs the aircraft could carry.

"Prior to the mission, or early on in flight, bomb data was entered on two settings dials on the top of the range unit. These set the trail scale and bomb class letter, estimating the amount the bomb would slow in forward motion (trail) and how quickly it would reach the ground due to the effects of terminal velocity (class). These settings were not changed during the mission.[45]"

So "T.V. Range" is almost certainly the range of terminal velocities for the bomb category and "Scale" is the bomb class letter.

I wonder if the bombardiers were expected to grease pencil in the types of bombs the aircraft could carry.
TV Range is the band within which the TV of any particular bomb falls. From that the Bomb Scale letter is read off and that must relate to a lettered dial on the SABS. The blank bomb column would have a temporary mark, such as a greaseproof marker, denoting the range band for the bomb type(s) being carried. Never heard of this museum and annoyingly I drove close by it last week. Must visit if only to see the SABS.

TV Range is the band within which the TV of any particular bomb falls. From that the Bomb Scale letter is read off and that must relate to a lettered dial on the SABS. The blank bomb column would have a temporary mark, such as a greaseproof marker, denoting the range band for the bomb type(s) being carried. Never heard of this museum and annoyingly I drove close by it last week. Must visit if only to see the SABS.
Very much worth the visit - lovely proper old fashioned little museum, replete with interesting objects and knowledgeable staff on-hand (and set in a genuine WW1 airfield with along history to boot). There's a Harvard in WW2 livery operating from there tomorrow if that adds an extra lure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back