Tigercat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flylo

Airman
Feb 12, 2017
I can't find any information as to what that antenna(?) on top of the nose is? I'm assuming it may be linked to the GCI radar tracker that was used to track and guide the F7's to targets?
Bonus points to anyone that knows of a 1/48 scale aftermarket of it.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 9
From what I could find, that antenna was only on the F7-F3P, which was a mod during or right before Korea. I did find a photo of a F3N that had the mount though, so don't know for sure. Best suggestion is to get in touch with the owners of the known N's and P's and see what they have in the way of books from the Korean era.

Thanks,
I've seen a few pics of the N models with them. Especially pics of VMF-513 F7F-3N's. Some have them, some don't. I think it was a later mod' versus an earlier one since the earlier photos of VMF-513 'cats lack the antenna. The illustration above depicts a summer of 1952 version. The transition to F3D SkyKnights began that same summer.
I can't find any mention of any F7F-3N's still sitting or flying around. If there are, they converted them back to the short nose. Which would make sense if they'd been flying as tankers post-war.

That's a 'bingo'! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back