Trolley accumulators (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chris ballance

Airman 1st Class
Jul 21, 2022
I found the following blog post to have an interesting description of engine starting methods, with a particular focus on WW2 trolley accumulators. I came across the post after seeing the attached photo in a tweet by Andy Bird @AndydBird and finding a comment referencing by G. Ross Sharp @GRossSharp to his blog post.

The 'Trolley Acc' – an indispensable tool of WW2

Andy Bird caption "A relaxed Flight Officer Robert George Andrew Beaumont (left) and Flight Officer David Ruddiman of 604 (Middlesex) Squadron with their Mosquito in January 1944."

Fcee-OgXoAI-KzG.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Posted by Snautzer01 in the Supermarine Spitfire thread ...

View attachment 686754
the source:
On a side note: the second photo shows a trolley without the generator element - same as below:
F5iNlSX.jpg

The original photo and the article show the accumulator trolley with the generator - see scheme below:
94bixKE.jpg

Cheers!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
View attachment 686783
I was a little confused when I saw this photo, and then I realized the box with the press button switch & the tell-tell lamp is likely on the other side - the tow handle side of the cart. The blue color makes sense, but most of the wartime photos look darker. The pneumatic tire versions had be more fun to handle on muddy airfield.

I was a little confused when I saw this photo, and then I realized the box with the press button switch & the tell-tell lamp is likely on the other side - the tow handle side of the cart. The blue color makes sense, but most of the wartime photos look darker. The pneumatic tire versions had be more fun to handle on muddy airfield.
The tyre/tire (English/American) version came later, also the charging set, a small petrol engine powered generator, was only attached when the accumulators needed charging, although some, as in the solid wheel version photo had the ACS fitted to the chassis. When on dispersal, they were usually left connected to the aircraft for 'instant readiness'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back