Trying to identify Halifax bomber parts - Please help!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spitfire2894

Recruit
May 25, 2017
Hi all, I'm very new to this forum so i hope i have posted this in the right place. I was hoping some of you could help me identify some plane parts i have that i believe belonged to a Halifax Bomber that crashed in 1944 in wales. what I've found out so far from the inspection stamp (FM) is that the plane was made by fairey planes. at first this threw me a bit but after more research i found that fairley made a good number of halifax bombers on sub contracts during the war. I also read somewhere online that most halifax bomber parts have numbers that start with 57 stamped on them, and as you'll see from the pictures one part does match this. there is one other number that looks like it could be incomplete from the damage caused by the crash. This piece also has the marking 'A' and 'N' in a circle i am clueless as to what these mean if anyone can shed some light that would be great. If anyone can help me identify any of the numbers or what they mean it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

halifax crash pt 1.jpg
halifax crash pt 2.jpg
halifax crash pt 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help with what the parts may be - some dimensions might help other members to possibly shed a bit more light on the matter.
The Halifax was indeed produced at the Fairey Engineering factory at Stockport, as well as by HP and the LTG production lines. The factory is still there, and still in operation, although no longer directly involved in aircraft construction.
It might be a bit of a long shot, but the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington, just outside York, might be able to help. They have a Halifax 'reproduction' that they created using the main fuselage section of a Halifax B.III, along with replica sections, genuine Halifax fittings, and Hastings wings, so it's possible that they might have access to parts numbers listings.
Pic of their Halifax below.

Elvington 044.jpg

Thanks very much for the reply, thats really interesting stuff about the factory and that its still there. ill do some deeper digging and see if the museum may be able to help. thanks again for the reply much appreciated.

Heres a few more pictures of the two different parts i have. maybe some details in these will bring more information forward. so piece one had a bracket/hinge of some sort on it and piece 2 is a longish piece with metal that has crumpled up from the impact still attached to it. on this piece though there is still some black paint visible within the crumpled metal whether this means anything I'm not sure, thanks in advanced.
Halifax pt 4.jpg
halifax Pt 5.jpg
halifax pt 6.jpg
halifax pt 7.jpg
Halifax pt 8.jpg
halifax pt 9.jpg

I've just discovered that the factory is no longer there, the area having been re-developed. It was certainly still there, and manufacturing, in the early 1990's, as I used to visit their printing department on business now and then, and at neighbour at the time worked there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back