Twin Browning .303 Machine Guns Set Up.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Neilly105

Airman
Oct 18, 2018
Hi All,

I'm building a Douglas Boston at the moment and in the process of detailing the rear gunner cockpit, which includes the machine guns. Re-building the twin machine guns has made wonder how the ammunition feed works. I've looked at several pictures but can't see how the feed works on both guns without cause some sort of foul up in the feed. I would be interested if someone could explain the ammo feed set up.

Thanks for any help,
Neil

Attachments

• RC_Twin_Browning_machine_guns_of_a_Douglas_SBD-3_1942.jpg
    RC_Twin_Browning_machine_guns_of_a_Douglas_SBD-3_1942.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 553
Continuous Feed System
Design by Bell Aircraft Corporation

(i) This system comprises of a fixed light alloy casting, one of which is attached to each gun mounting by two studs below the gun feedways. The castings carry three equally spaced disc rollers which run in a groove around the circular portion of a rotatable light alloy feed neck. Each feed neck is provided with a flared ammunition belt entry and fitted with a belt roller. This arrangement gives a flexible entry for the belt and provides sufficient correction to ensure a straight entry of the belt into the feedway.​
(ii) Midway between the feed neck and the ammunition box is a pair of roller guides for the belts carried in a swiveling frame. The frame runs on disc rollers mounted on a bracket which projects from the top of the gun mounting carriage, to which it is bolted. The guides constrain the slack portion of the belt preventing it from swinging or syphoning from the ammunition boxes.​

That was the early twin-Browning setup with each gun being fed by a 100-round belt box mounted on the guns themselves.

That's a great picture, Chris. That would be the set up in the Boston I'm building - a late 1942 machine.

Greyman - Thanks for the explanation - I did originally wonder if the guns were 'handed', but obviously not.

Cheers,
Neil

The pic by Greyman is the .30 Browning installation as fitted to the A-20A, the .303 Browning ran the 100 round feed bins on the Boston III's, later Boston IIIA's came with the ammo feed as per the drawing , installation in late 42 is the 100 round bins on the gun as in the photo.

Thanks Sydhuey - My model will have the early type bins fitted - as you say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back