United Orders Supersonic Airliners

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
This one I find hard to believe.... From Avweb Flash:

United Airlines has signed an agreement with Boom Supersonic to purchase 15 Overture supersonic airliners once the model meets United's "safety, operating and sustainability requirements." Announced on Thursday, the deal also includes options for 35 additional aircraft. Boom is partnering with Rolls-Royce on a propulsion system for the Overture, which is expected to fly at speeds of up to Mach 1.7.

"United continues on its trajectory to build a more innovative, sustainable airline and today's advancements in technology are making it more viable for that to include supersonic planes," said United CEO Scott Kirby. "Boom's vision for the future of commercial aviation, combined with the industry's most robust route network in the world, will give business and leisure travelers access to a stellar flight experience."

As previously reported by AVweb, Boom rolled out its XB-1 supersonic demonstrator, which was designed to demonstrate key technologies for the Overture model, in October 2020. Boom is planning to fly the Overture for the first time in 2026 and hopes to have it enter service in 2029. According to the company, the aircraft will be "optimized to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF)."

Boom Airliner.jpg

Boom seems very ambitious, making its first passenger design a supersonic one. I doubt it'll ship to United on schedule, and wonder if it'll enter service at all.

They also seem to be tempting fate with a name like "boom".

I thought aircraft were going electric. And, NOW.... (music to a well known USN TV documentary from the 1950s), the Electric Supersonic Airliner.

It'll be a booming success if they can power it with CO2.

Any of y'all ever see that video by a former airline pilot about what really caused the Concorde crash? One version is here: Untold Story of the Concorde Disaster - AskThePilot.com

And it had nothing to do with a small part falling off a Continental DC-10.

Here is the XB-1 demonstrator they mention.
xb-1-reveal-front-right-1-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back