USAF Demos Quicksink Bomb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
From Avweb:

Communist China has been effectively employing a vast fleet of low-tech, lightly armed government vessels and dual-use civilian craft and naval militias to expand and dominate large swaths of the Western Pacific.

Until now, the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard could only respond to this 'Gray Zone' armada with small deck guns, scarce heavy torpedoes, or expensive anti-ship missiles and line-of-sight laser-guided bombs.

That equation has now changed as the Pentagon has shown off its latest low-tech 2,000-pound Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) – appropriately named 'QUICKSINK,' in an impressive live-fire demonstration in the Gulf of Mexico.

It can be dropped on ships from 20 miles away. Note that it hits the side of the ship and "torpedoes" it. Just like Billy Mitchell.

From Avweb:

Communist China has been effectively employing a vast fleet of low-tech, lightly armed government vessels and dual-use civilian craft and naval militias to expand and dominate large swaths of the Western Pacific.

Until now, the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard could only respond to this 'Gray Zone' armada with small deck guns, scarce heavy torpedoes, or expensive anti-ship missiles and line-of-sight laser-guided bombs.

That equation has now changed as the Pentagon has shown off its latest low-tech 2,000-pound Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) – appropriately named 'QUICKSINK,' in an impressive live-fire demonstration in the Gulf of Mexico.

It can be dropped on ships from 20 miles away. Note that it hits the side of the ship and "torpedoes" it. Just like Billy Mitchell.

Billy Mitchell, now there is a patriot with the ability to say "I told you dumb mf's so", if there ever was one.

Also, the B-52 might have a new lease on life.

I don't think the B-52 will ever retire. The USAF is now modernizing the fleet again, including re-engining them.

AA5E48A9-C467-4B07-96B0-BCC4F9D97615.jpeg
D93D3C51-89C8-4712-987C-A2F5A8DB64AB.jpeg
04B1FD86-6BAD-462E-8085-28D8FDD2EB17.jpeg
A2760414-E4C4-4643-BDCD-ECF1892F1B14.jpeg

When I worked at Tinker AFB one day I unrolled some B-52 drawings and examined them for data I needed to solve an engineering problem. Then I stood up and said they would have to assign another engineer to the task; I was not qualified. The drawings were dated to before I was born.

Now, of course, I work on my Ercoupe 415C; it was built before I was born and most of the drawings are even older than that.

I wonder how many of these Quicksinks (@2000 lbs) a BUFF could carry? I know in Desert Storm the G models we had in the 801st carried 51 750-lbers. A -52 carrying ten or twelve of these could cover a large swathe of ocean efficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back