USN Mk8 reflector gun sight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
Hello everyone and a happy new year,

A photo of an USN Mk8 Reflector gun sight. I powered it up, second pic is of the reticle. Still have to find the original reflector glass and the back-up ring sight.
If somebody needs more photo's please let me know.

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• IMG_4247_2.jpg
    IMG_4247_2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 895
  • Reticle%20USN%20Mk8%20Gun%20Sight.JPG
    Reticle%20USN%20Mk8%20Gun%20Sight.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,889
Nice find and great pics!

Offhand, does anyone know the proper name of the finish that is mainly worn off of the upper housings?

:oops: i just looked at the photos properly!!:oops:
Ok the underneath metal is black anodised the rest is a crinkle/wrinkle paint in satin black....I use the same stuff for restoring my SCR-522 radio boxes and bombsight parts

:oops: i just looked at the photos properly!!:oops:
Ok the underneath metal is black anodised the rest is a crinkle/wrinkle paint in satin black....I use the same stuff for restoring my SCR-522 radio boxes and bombsight parts

Is there a particular product that you use:?: I always assumed it was a baked on enamel product, akin to powder coating. In my experience, the original product seems so tough and durable. Hammerite paints are pretty tough, but as the name suggests, has a more hammered appearance.Hammerite Hammered Finish They use a chemical based heat reaction to achieve the effect.:twisted:

Hi, i'm very interested with the USN MK8 pictures , can you send me another?And do you have some technical book or manual about the gunsight?I guess to built an f4u-1a instruments panel;
Cordials
Blacksheep57.

Hi,
No problem....do you want to see something specific?
I don't have any manual regarding the Mk8, sorry.

Best wishes,
Sander

Attachments

• USN Mk8 Gun Sight_small_1.jpg
    USN Mk8 Gun Sight_small_1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 457
  • USN Mk8 Gun Sight_small_2.jpg
    USN Mk8 Gun Sight_small_2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 491
  • USN Mk8 Gun Sight_small_3.jpg
    USN Mk8 Gun Sight_small_3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 458
  • USN Mk8 Gun Sight_small_4.jpg
    USN Mk8 Gun Sight_small_4.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 597
Do you have photos of the electrical connector that attaches to the illumination bulb assembly? I think it is an amphenol three pin female connector but I have never seen a photo. This would be for a F4U-1a corsair instrument panel. I don't know if the connector is a 45 degree or straight. Any info. or photos would be appreciated.

Hi,
Sorry, no I haven't detailed photographs of it. However I do have a photo(source as statet bottom left on photo) of a P-47 panel which shows the connector on a P-47. As it is a Mk8 sight too my guess is that on a Corsair this connector could be the same. Hopes it helps a little...

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• 0447531.jpg
    0447531.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back