USNavy training units markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I realize that this thread is nearly three years old. I am trying to identify the TBF on the aircraft carrier flight deck. My father said that he took carrier qualification on the USS Sangri-La (CV-38) in the spring of 1946. In 1946, the Sangri-La conducted carrier qualification in three locations: off Norfolk, Virginia, March 4-7 and off San Diego, California, April 23-26 and April 30-May 9. The Shangri-La departed San Diego for Operation Crossroads (Bikini Island atomic tests) on May 21, 1946. Dad's "Notice of Separation from U.S. Naval Service" (NAVPERS-533) says that he completed 12 weeks operation training at NAS Fort Lauderdale followed by 8 weeks carrier qualification at NAS Cecil Field.

I am interested in the identification of the TBF with the marking "S4" on the fuselage. You helped me identify the TBF with "CT" on the fuselage in the other photo.

Thank you for any assistance,

Steven

Last edited:

Catch,

Where on earth did you find that photo of the DeLand SNJ? If you have any others, please, please, please direct me to where I can find them. I'm trying to do some research on these SNJs in the Daytona area and it is hard to come by anything related to the hack aircraft, their markings/colors, and numbers. Thanks for anything you can do to steer me in the right direction!

This is a very old thread and my memory is not the same as 6 years ago.
The source for the above photo: US Navy & USMC Aircraft Color Guide Vol.2 1940-1949., page 109.
Check your pm as well.
Regards,
Yves

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread