VF-111 Helmet marking

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

futuredogfight

Senior Airman
Dec 22, 2010
Reading new books
Hey guy, been a while since I've been on. I have a request, could someone identify this little triangle dude on this VF-111 helmet? I was wondering if he is a mascot or something, Thanks! ~FD
VF-111.jpg

That is a variation rendition of 'Omar" the VF-111 squadron mascot. Omar was the outcome of a competition to come up with a special emblem to mark the entrance of VF-111 into the supersonic age when it started using the F8U Crusader back in 1961. Designed by sailors in the squadron maintenance department, the slightly oriental stick figure, Omar, was an immediate hit and his visage started appearing in squadron spaces, aircraft and equipment, not to mention personal items. Omar remained a squadron identifying figure until VF-111 was disestablished in 1995. I've heard that VCF-111 uses Omar and, as well the traditional "Sundowners" insignia, but that squadron has no lineal relationship to VF-11/VF-111, all it has is the number 111. Strange but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back