Vicks Warwick?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Harrier Bill

Recruit
Feb 12, 2008
Northampton
Hi,
I,ve been a member for a while but only in a passive role. I'm based in the Uk with 20plus years RAF experience and 13 years with the Royal Saudi Air Force.
I recently found the two attached photos on a Dive website, supposedly a Vickers Wellington howe ver Underwater 2 shows an apparent mid-upper turret. As far as I know no Wellington had a mid-upper turret.

A little research shows that only four types of geodetic aircraft were built, the Wellesley, Wellington, Warwick and Windsor. Both the Wellington and Windsor were twin-engined therefore I suspect this is a Warwick but the only Warwicks I can find with upper turrets have the turret further aft between the wing trailing edge and the fin.

Has anyone any ideas? If it is a Warwick then given the apparent good condition of the aircraft it would be a very worthwhile recovery project.

Attachments

• Underwater01 [1600x1200].jpg
    Underwater01 [1600x1200].jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Underwater02.jpg
    Underwater02.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 94
Hi there, Harrier Bill. Having had a good look at the photos, it seems that the fuselage length aft of the wing would suggest that it's a Wellington. As you pointed out, the upper turret on the Warwick was situated further back. Also, the apparent 'turret' seems rather small in diameter to be a gun turret, and there isn't much evidence of the 'turret' bin inside the fuselage. Also, the structure that is clearly visible is in about the right place for the astrodome on a Wellington, but it looks too large to be a standard astrodome, and appears to possibly have some sort of former or framework. I can only suggest that it could be a Wellington T10, or perhaps one of the other Marks that were converted to crew trainers or transports, particularly those operating in the Mediterranean area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back