VPB-104 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Davecww1

Airman 1st Class
Jan 31, 2021
One thing I failed to mention in my introductory post, my uncle, Robert Miller was a radio gunner on a PB4Y-1 with VPB-104. His pilot was Capt. Whitney Wright. Wright was a veteran of the first tour of VB-104 in 1943-44 and the squadron commander of the second tour. I would like to see photos of the PB4Y-1S used by this squadron if anyone has any to share.
My research shows that the PB4Y-1S used on the first tour were early B-24D models fitted with the Erco nose turret and were still painted olive drab over neutral gray. They had colorful nose art with lots of sexy women.
By the time of the second tour the PB4Y-1S were based on the B-24J and were painted in the 3 color Navy scheme, dark sea blue upper sides, intermediate blue sides and white bottom. My uncle told me they weren't allowed to paint personal markings or kill markings on the planes, if they went down and were captured Capt. Wright wanted them to look like new crews. First I have heard of this as most squadrons painted personal name and artwork, along with kill markings.
Dave

Just a personal point. i could never understand why a pilot would make his ship a target by placing enemy flags on it to designate the number of kills. Maybe I do not possess the ego of an ace and cannot understand it but, if it was me, I would never UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES place these on my ship.

Just a personal point. i could never understand why a pilot would make his ship a target by placing enemy flags on it to designate the number of kills. Maybe I do not possess the ego of an ace and cannot understand it but, if it was me, I would never UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES place these on my ship.
And do you really think while in combat opposing sides are going to be looking out for each other's kill markings? Very rarely will you get up close, let alone to count meat balls, crosses or stars painted on the side of the aircraft!

One thing I failed to mention in my introductory post, my uncle, Robert Miller was a radio gunner on a PB4Y-1 with VPB-104. His pilot was Capt. Whitney Wright. Wright was a veteran of the first tour of VB-104 in 1943-44 and the squadron commander of the second tour. I would like to see photos of the PB4Y-1S used by this squadron if anyone has any to share.
My research shows that the PB4Y-1S used on the first tour were early B-24D models fitted with the Erco nose turret and were still painted olive drab over neutral gray. They had colorful nose art with lots of sexy women.
By the time of the second tour the PB4Y-1S were based on the B-24J and were painted in the 3 color Navy scheme, dark sea blue upper sides, intermediate blue sides and white bottom. My uncle told me they weren't allowed to paint personal markings or kill markings on the planes, if they went down and were captured Capt. Wright wanted them to look like new crews. First I have heard of this as most squadrons painted personal name and artwork, along with kill markings.
Dave
Hi Dave -

Have you seen this site?

VPNAVY - United States Navy Patrol Squadrons

Yes sir, I also found a wordpress site on VPB-104 that has a few good photos from the first tour and I have copies of the tour books. Just looking for any photos not on any of those sites. I may post what I have once I figure this site out.
Thanks
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back