VVS Callsigns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Darius Jung

Recruit
May 2, 2017
Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum and was hoping to take advantage of the vast knowledge out there. I'm working on a novel about Soviet women fighter pilots during WWII. I've done a lot of research on the topic already, but one area I've had trouble figuring out is what radio callsigns were used for pilots. From what I've read, it looks like pilots were frequently called by their bort numbers. Given that pilots and planes might be switched up frequently under battle conditions, I would think that could get quite confusing when trying to keep squadrons and flights sorted out in the air.

Is there any information out there as to any sort of system of callsigns the VVS might have used to communicate with pilots while in the air?

Many thanks in advance!

Cant help much sorry. however Lidya (lily) Litvyyak--(1921-1943)--WWII Soviet pilot who was the first woman in history to shoot down an enemy plane and one of the world's only two female fighter aces. she flew under the call sign "White Lily". She is credited with up to 12 solo kills. Litvyak died in 1943 when her plane was shot down as she attacked German bombers in Ukraine. She was just 21.

Thanks for the response. Yes, it seems to be quite difficult to find any info. Perhaps being new to using radio, the VVS didn't much of a system/convention in place during the first part of the war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back