Warning lights

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
Hope I'm putting this in the right section. According to an April 1941 article in "Flying" magazine, Curtiss Wright's St Louis Division might be responsible for the idiot lights in all our aircraft and cars and things today. They called it the "Tell Tale" system, and apparently it was something new and different then. Who knew? Or if this isn't actually the first such thing, I'd be interested in knowing what came earlier.
1653918457800.png

To whoever moved this from its original place - it's not a "Request" it's actual technical information. When I add words saying that I'd appreciate corrections if my information isn't accurate, that does NOT make the post a proper "Request" at all.

Warning lights are useful.
So it's like 1981 or something. I'm driving my "Frankenstein" 1970/72/68? Dart on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway headed to Manhattan. I come over the rise and a cloud of steam bursts from under the hood. I killed the engine and started coasting towards an exit. That's when the "idiot lights" come on.
"Thanks guys " I said out loud.

Hope I'm putting this in the right section. According to an April 1941 article in "Flying" magazine, Curtiss Wright's St Louis Division might be responsible for the idiot lights in all our aircraft and cars and things today. They called it the "Tell Tale" system, and apparently it was something new and different then. Who knew? Or if this isn't actually the first such thing, I'd be interested in knowing what came earlier.
Warning lights as shown are common an many modern aircraft. Now in the case of landing gear and flaps, I do know some manufacturers had "warning poles" to indicate when the item was retracted or extended. I believe the Spitfire had this for the flaps

So it's like 1981 or something. I'm driving my "Frankenstein" 1970/72/68? Dart on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway headed to Manhattan. I come over the rise and a cloud of steam bursts from under the hood. I killed the engine and started coasting towards an exit. That's when the "idiot lights" come on.
"Thanks guys " I said out loud.

Let me rephrase that, then: warning lights can be useful.

As aircraft complexity has increase, so has the possibility of pilot informational overload. The easiest solution to help decrease that possibility on the pilot has been "Bitchin Betty", an aural alert system that has a limited set of calls, but all can be considered critical.

For the F-16:
F/A-18

I have mentioned this on another thread in the past, Bill Fornof told us he stayed in the Naval Reserve as long as he could fly round engine fighters. His last summer drill, 1949, was in California flying Corsairs. Returning from a flight, the landing gear did not indicate "three in the green" when extended, so he requested a tower fly by so they could see if L/G was down and locked. Tower responded, "Yessir, down and locked and the fire's out, too."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back