What air craft is this from?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Judge

Recruit
Feb 28, 2022
Hello

Thanks for having me I am investigating which aircraft this airspeed indicator has come from?

Bristol Beaufort is the one that seems to come up the most wondered if anyone can confirm this or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• airspeed (1).JPG
    airspeed (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • airspeed (9).JPG
    airspeed (9).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • airspeed (8).JPG
    airspeed (8).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • airspeed (7).JPG
    airspeed (7).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • airspeed (4).JPG
    airspeed (4).JPG
    661.7 KB · Views: 34
  • airspeed (3).JPG
    airspeed (3).JPG
    873.8 KB · Views: 45
  • airspeed (2).JPG
    airspeed (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
Hello

Thanks for having me I am investigating which aircraft this airspeed indicator has come from?

Bristol Beaufort is the one that seems to come up the most wondered if anyone can confirm this or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm no expert so I'll confine myself to saying that the Bristol Beauforts I have seen in pictures have this instrument. The range of speed is about right, too. Also Coastal Command of the RAF would have had knots specified, as this instrument has, because they flew over the sea and had their instruments calibrated in knots. So, yes, I think it's from, or for, a Beaufort. As I said, I'm no expert.

Hi Mike

If you go to the chart in post 3 you will find that the 585 is luminous and the 586 is the non luminous version of the same IXE* gauge.

To change the number, but still call it a IXE*, means there is some other significant change. It must be a significant one to cause such a change and it probably would have been to fix a problem that required all 585s to be replaced with 1294s in certain aircraft, or even all aircraft, in service at that time. The usual practice with a modification was to paint a specific colour dot on the back or side of the instrument to show it had been modified. Changing the part number would indicate a more critical change.

Hopefully someone will have a later copy of AP 1275 which contains the necessary information.

Hi Mike

If you go to the chart in post 3 you will find that the 585 is luminous and the 586 is the non luminous version of the same IXE* gauge.

To change the number, but still call it a IXE*, means there is some other significant change. It must be a significant one to cause such a change and it probably would have been to fix a problem that required all 585s to be replaced with 1294s in certain aircraft, or even all aircraft, in service at that time. The usual practice with a modification was to paint a specific colour dot on the back or side of the instrument to show it had been modified. Changing the part number would indicate a more critical change.

Hopefully someone will have a later copy of AP 1275 which contains the necessary information.
Hello

Can you get a pdf version of the AP manual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back