What are these concepts?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
A 1945 Army film about how Wright Field was involved in developing new aircraft during WW2 flashed up some models and sketches of aircraft I haven't seen before. Who knows what they are?

Attachments

• WW2 concepts 3.jpg
    WW2 concepts 3.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 54
  • WW2 concepts 2.jpg
    WW2 concepts 2.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 59
  • WW2 concepts 1.jpg
    WW2 concepts 1.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 70
O OldGeezer ,
Fascinating stuff. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that the bottom left aircraft in the middle photo is the XP-83 or the F-89, but the F-89 started out as a swept-wing design and had two crew off the bat; the upper left image in the last image is probably either a progenitor of the XB-53, which was inspired by the Cornelius Mallard, there were several attempts into this field including aircraft that had some resemblances to the Bugatti R-100 racer (which might explain the upper aircraft in the middle-photo.

@Airframes @drgondog @tomo pauk @XBe02Drvr

O OldGeezer ,
Fascinating stuff. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that the bottom left aircraft in the middle photo is the XP-83 or the F-89, but the F-89 started out as a swept-wing design and had two crew off the bat; the upper left image in the last image is probably either a progenitor of the XB-53, which was inspired by the Cornelius Mallard, there were several attempts into this field including aircraft that had some resemblances to the Bugatti R-100 racer (which might explain the upper aircraft in the middle-photo.

@Airframes @drgondog @tomo pauk @XBe02Drvr
The one at the top right of the 2nd group photo looks sort of like a Leduc 0.10 or 0.21. Some very odd things in there, I need to dig out my reference books...

The one at the top right of the 2nd group photo looks sort of like a Leduc 0.10 or 0.21. Some very odd things in there, I need to dig out my reference books...
Yeah it does a bit...

Last group top right looks Martin-ish, perhaps related to the XB-27?

And last, bottom- might it be a Douglas (B-29 competitor, or derivative) concept?
Actually, the bottom could be the XB-33A...

The plane shown in the upper left corner of the middle picture reminds me of some ram jet experiments the government did in the 1950's, but overall, I think we're just looking at a bunch of ideas for future aircraft that hadn't gone much beyond the "idea" stage, at that point in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back