What do you think of the bell p-39 was it a good dogfighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think we agree to agree!

When I was looking up information on the P-39 I found that aces Yeager and Anderson really liked the airplane. I always felt it got a bad rap. I thought the P-63D was the Bell answer to the P-51, but too little, too late.

I'll try to find the site I got some of this data from...

I found on www.zenowarbirdvideos.com a sample P-39Q W&B chart. This aircraft calcualtes horizontal AND vertical CG. The page is difficult to read but it looks like the horizontal CG envelope is about 1 inch (133.56/ 134.22 from what I could read)

Attachments

• zenos_p-39_193.jpg
    zenos_p-39_193.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 497
FLYBOYJ said:
I found on www.zenowarbirdvideos.com a sample P-39Q W&B chart. This aircraft calcualtes horizontal AND vertical CG. The page is difficult to read but it looks like the horizontal CG envelope is about 1 inch (133.56/ 134.22 from what I could read)

Thats terrible. :shock: :oops: :evil:

Just looking at the chart and from comments made earlier taking out the armor is probably benificial in all regaurds (except getting shot in the back).

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
FLYBOYJ said:

Thats terrible. :shock: :oops: :evil:

Just looking at the chart and from comments made earlier taking out the armor is probably benificial in all regaurds (except getting shot in the back).

wmaxt

:lol: - MY GOD! HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL CG - WORSE THAN A HELICOPTER! And if I had to fly this in combat, I think its safer to risk getting shot in the back! :shock:

[quote="FLYBOYJ]

:lol: - MY GOD! HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL CG - WORSE THAN A HELICOPTER! And if I had to fly this in combat, I think its safer to risk getting shot in the back! :shock:[/quote]

Yup :cry:

Was the King Cobra any better?

wmaxt

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I bet, plus to be a racer they removed all that armour and uneeded stuff and that probably screwed it up real bad.

If they didn't watch what they were doing, it could of. But as wmaxt said earlier, it might of helped things! :rolleyes:

Good sites. From what I have read, the pilot of a P-39 had a terrible time knowing when the aircraft was going to stall.

On a smaller but similar scale - When I was learning to fly I was in a Cessna 152. When doing stalls in this particular aircraft, if not careful it would snap over and spin, even with the proper rudder inputs. At first my instructor thought it was me. Later on we discovered that this aircraft survived a mid-air collision and the left wing asymmetry (the slight twist in the wing) was off causing the aircraft to stall differently. There is nothing more scary in flying an aircraft when you don't know how its going to behave in a stall! :shock:

I agree with you. That is one thing that I allways hated was practicing stall recoveries. I just hate putting aircraft into situations that suck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back