What is a plane that is overrated for it combat effectiveness

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is the basis for my opinion, true. But I think of the Dauntlesses making their getaways at both Coral Sea and Midway and consider that any dive-bomber would be a turkey may be a bit overbroad. The SBD was quite a bit handier than the Stuka, even if the whole CAP thing is overblown.

And even if Stukas did indeed sink more vessels than SBD, I'd bet the the SBD surpasses it in tonnage sunk.

Put those Dauntlesses over the battlefields of Europe and do you honestly think it would fair better? Honestly…

If we put the Stukas in place of the D3A1* at Coral Sea, then we should probably replace the IJN's 250 kg bombs with German 500 kg bombs (the carriers were close but the Stukas probably wouldn't be able to get the 1000 kg bombs that hit Formidable off a deck). If (OK very uncertain) the bombs ended up on the same trajectories, we wouldn't see Yorktown at Midway. In fact, if the bomb that hit actually entered the forward engine room before exploding, it is possible the Yorktown might not have been able to break contact.
* Yes I realise that replacing Dauntless' was suggested.

If we put the Stukas in place of the D3A1* at Coral Sea, then we should probably replace the IJN's 250 kg bombs with German 500 kg bombs (the carriers were close but the Stukas probably wouldn't be able to get the 1000 kg bombs that hit Formidable off a deck). If (OK very uncertain) the bombs ended up on the same trajectories, we wouldn't see Yorktown at Midway. In fact, if the bomb that hit actually entered the forward engine room before exploding, it is possible the Yorktown might not have been able to break contact.
* Yes I realise that replacing Dauntless' was suggested.

They've got to reach the Americans first. If that requires Ju-87Rs, the 1000-ks stay home, don't they? D models weren't known for long legs.

Put those Stukas at Coral Sea ...

I don't disagree that the Dauntless was a better carrier born dive bomber, especially since it had greater range. I however do not believe aircraft (Stuka/Dauntless) would fair any better over a target or in contested airspace. Neither has the speed, maneuverability, or armament to survive without air superiority, especially in an environment like ETO, which is not quite the same as fighting over a very small contested area in the vast ocean.

I don't disagree that the Dauntless was a better carrier born dive bomber, especially since it had greater range. I however do not believe aircraft (Stuka/Dauntless) would fair any better over a target or in contested airspace. Neither has the speed, maneuverability, or armament to survive without air superiority, especially in an environment like ETO.

Sure. And that goes for all theaters, including the Pacific.

We will never know as the Ju 87C was a prototype only and would have to have flown from the G.Z. for a proper evaluation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back