What is "blue nose" ammunition?

MiTasol

Major
9,847
18,697
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Location
Aw flaming stralia
Presumably the color code for this ammo is a blue nose but what is it? AP? Incendiary? Tracer? ??

1649483454683.png
 
Blue for gun ammo is incendiary, while blue on other ordinance is inert. All blue ordinance can be flown and dropped, while blue stripe only, is not approved for flight, but only for ground training use.

Long years ago I was shipped an AIM 9 for test program. Live seeker head, but inert and ballasted missile body. Unfortunately the goobers that crated it, did so in a way that the inert bands were completely covered. Lots of consternation trying to figure out if we had a live missile sitting in our office or not!
 
Blue for gun ammo is incendiary, while blue on other ordinance is inert. All blue ordinance can be flown and dropped, while blue stripe only, is not approved for flight, but only for ground training use.

Long years ago I was shipped an AIM 9 for test program. Live seeker head, but inert and ballasted missile body. Unfortunately the goobers that crated it, did so in a way that the inert bands were completely covered. Lots of consternation trying to figure out if we had a live missile sitting in our office or not!

When I was in, our inert bombs had blue stripes. They were flown, but not dropped to my knowledge. I think they used WP target-marker bombs for practice, with a white stripe.

I don't recall seeing any bombs painted solid colors except for OD green.
 
Cal. .50 ctgs.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back