What was the Japanese name for the Ha-5/41/109 [Ha-34] Engine? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kilkenny

Airman
Jan 26, 2021
Most of the other Japanese WW2 engines had names (Sakae, Kinsei, Homare, etc.). Why not one for this well-used engine? Any thoughts/answers?

I may be wrong, but I always thought it had to do with the different naming conventions of the IJA and the IJN. Please correct me if I am wrong, but early in WW2, did not the IJ Navy engines have names by which the engine was commonly known. Didn't the Army use their own Ha number and/or a formal designation. Later in WW2 the IJA and IJN developed an "integrated" unified numbering system. For example the Japanese Navy called the engine the Honor 11, The Japanese Army called the same engine the Ha45, or the Type 4 1850hp engine. The late unified (integrated) system referred to the engine as the Ha45-11. I don't remember when the unified numbering started. 1943?

I may be wrong, but I always thought it had to do with the different naming conventions of the IJA and the IJN. Please correct me if I am wrong, but early in WW2, did not the IJ Navy engines have names by which the engine was commonly known. Didn't the Army use their own Ha number and/or a formal designation. Later in WW2 the IJA and IJN developed an "integrated" unified numbering system. For example the Japanese Navy called the engine the Honor 11, The Japanese Army called the same engine the Ha45, or the Type 4 1850hp engine. The late unified (integrated) system referred to the engine as the Ha45-11. I don't remember when the unified numbering started. 1943?
I think you are correct about this... However, I am looking for a name; not a number (which I already have)... Perhaps it is because the engine was not used by the IJN?

I'm not aware of any IJN usage of this series of engines. It was used much by the Ki-49 Helen bomber and Ki-44 fighter
I think that Nakajima failed sales promotion to IJN at the first step.
IJN was not interested in Nakajima's NAL-family engine Ha-5 because they thought such a new type engine like the double-row should be more powerful. At this point, Nakajima should have waited for the next chance in the future but carelessly attempted re-designing the Ha-5 for 1,450hp as NAL-6 with insufficient experiences. Result was, of course, failure and, to the worse, IJN never paid attention to the NAL again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back