When is a Spitfire a Spitfire?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Years ago I read of the FM2 being called "The Wilder Wildcat". Could have been from a contemporary General Motors brochure.

Could you build a MK XII using MK I or II tooling, or good parts of it. Were major assemblies interchangeable?

The Mk XII was based on the MK V, which was based on the Mk II. So very possibly.

There may have been some stronger components, such as the longerons (I can't recall if these were added for the XII)), but the majority of the structure was the same.

The wings were the same as the Mk V.

I can understand the MK XXs an up perhaps not being "Spitfires" (different wing) but some of the others dis use at least some parts.

In some cases it is "Marketing" in other cases it is because the design has really changed.

Originally the 21-24 were to be called the Victor. Maybe marketing did get a say in retaining the name Spitfire.

The wingspan on the standard wings (prior to the 20-series Spitfires) could be fitted with three different wing tips - standard, clipped and extended. There was no structural change to the wing to achieve this, as the wing tip was a bolt-on part.

The wing itself evolved over time, with changing armament requirements and structural revisions. And, of course, the PR wing with additional leading edge fuel.

The 20-series wing was the largest wing change for the Spitfire.

Great pics...but shame they don't show the optional structure for carrying coconuts. Pictures of that particular configuration are almost impossible to find...and even harder to replicate in 1/72 scale!

When the dataplate sez it's a Spitfire, it's a Spitfire.

This is a full-scale reproduction of a Spitfire Mk.I. It was almost entirely built from scratch and retains very little of its wartime self, but its dataplate states that it is Spitfire Mk.I N3200, so who are we to argue?

0707 Duxford Spitfire I

Entirely concur.

I don't think the earlier analogy to car production is appropriate because the only thing a '67 Mustang has in common with a modern Mustang is the name. The aviation equivalent would be trying to claim that the P-38 is the same as the F-35 because they're both called Lightning and both were/are made by Lockheed.

At the end of the day, countries had their own rules regarding aircraft naming conventions. If Spitfire was good enough for the UK to cover all variants of the marque in the period 1938-1952, then it should be good enough for us today.

That depends on what is what.

My issue is that one cannot discuss the Spitfire in general. Since it has many marks and many years.

So if to answer the question how good the Spitfire is will depend on which mark or timeframe.

Since Mitchell died early then to say he was the designer of the Spitfire is false. He was the chief designer of the prototype.

Originally the 21-24 were to be called the Victor. Maybe marketing did get a say in retaining the name Spitfire.
As a child the Spitfire was frequently called the Vickers Supermarine Spitfire. I seem to remember that being on some Airfix "art work" but cant find any now, I did find this, so maybe marketing with an eye on post war did play a part. Surpermarine had been part of Vickers since 1928.

If you look at long lived designs like the Bf 109 or Spitfire, the early aircraft have little in common with the last versions so should we still lump all aircraft as Spitfires?
Should we think of them as new designs?

R.J. Mitchell probably would have liked the idea of renaming subsequent Spitfire variants: ""Spitfire was just the sort of bloody silly name they would choose. "
As for Germans, they have never bothered about fancy names. (Think of Audi/Mercedes/BMW -cars, numbers and letters only)

Except VW (owned by Audi) Golf, Passat, Tiguan etc.

Is this a Spitfire? I vote yes, well in truth an enjoyable project to watch building a tribute to the Spitfire.

Last edited:
The fuselage was changed as well. The cockpit is higher to improve vision changing the profile. The fuel tanks are a completely different arrangement.

Users who are viewing this thread