When is a Spitfire a Spitfire?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a wee bit of engineering to add to the Spitty versus not Spitty debate. The following is a Spitfire fuselage from Frame 5, the firewall. Between the Mk.III and Mk.22/24 this remained structurally exactly the same with minor alterations, for example to suit a bigger oil tank resulting in a forward canted firewall and a cut down fuselage aft of the canopy, extra fuselage fuel tanks, local strengthening etc. This is from a Mk.21.

Fuselage

Last edited:
"Is the F/A-18E/F really an F/A-18?"

My understanding is that (not counting rivets and such) the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet had less than 7% commonality of airframe parts with the F/A-18C/D Hornet. So . . . No. There were, however, many sub-systems in common.

As for the Spitfire, I think that it is fair to call it a Spitfire at least until the Spiteful wing change. By that point in time, how much of the airframe was common to previous marks?

By that point in time, how much of the airframe was common to previous marks?

They looked similar! I take it back! The Spiteful was intended on using the same fuselage... and to alter this yet again (!) initially a Mk.VIII fuse was tried out with a Spiteful wing, but the production variant had a larger and deeper fuselage, so not the same as above. Eek.

Last edited:
The first batch of Mk XIIs were based on the Mk V, while the second group were based on Mk VIII airframes.

IMHO every Spitfire is a Spitfire, because it has been a continous evolution from version to version.
As a man in my mid 50-ies I am still the same person that was born in the 1960-ies although I have changed thoroughly over the decades, even the cells in my body have been completely exchanged by natural processes several times. Still I got my memories that help me to say I am the same now I have been as a toddler.
Even Alex Henshaw as the man who as a factory test pilot has flown more Spitfires than anybody else ever acknowledged the last versions of the Spitfire as Spitfires, though he regretted that the superior handling qualities of the early versions had been lost in the course of the evolution of this airplane. To me, the summit of the true Spitfires were the MK.IX and the PR.XI. Afterwards, things changed substantially with the arrival of the Griffon engine. Still, I can easily prop a model of the MK. XIV/PR.XIX besides a model of the prototype K5054 and everybody would rightfully call both of them Spitfires. Even more so, if I place a model of the MK.IX between them.

Is that a MkXIV potato or a Mk14? With only 24 variants of Spitfire plus 4 PR versions and then 8 versions of Seafire Some of them need a new name.
An Apple is always an apple be it a cooking apple or not.
A lot of discussion by high official's eventually came up with the name "Spitfire" for the aircraft. As time went on the design was improved. It was still a "Spitfire", When different objectives were envisaged for later version's it was again those official's who came up with the new names .
Suggest "Spitfire, the histoy"

I agree, its easy to take the wrong meaning from a single post, see my other posts on this thread.

But if you say RJ Mitchell chief designer of the Spitfire well he designed the prototype but for obvious reasons didn't get much further.

Parts compatibility is the key so if you can't swap parts across various marks then you have different aircraft. So Spitfire by name only.

But there was a great deal of inter-mark compatibility--The original tail of the Mk 22 was often replaced by 'Spiteful' tails--you know, that big oval thing you usually se on the 21+s in service?

Last edited:
Parts compatibility is the key so if you can't swap parts across various marks then you have different aircraft.

As I posted earlier, the Spit V, which was essentially a II with Merlin 45 through to the Spit 22/24 all had the same fuselage section, just different wings, empennage, u/c arrangement, engine etc. The fuselage was the same from the firewall to the tail section.

-Odd you should mention that in this context because I've always been unhappy and befuddled over how one computer by Apple has naught to to with the next computer by Apple.
Maybe, but I was not talking about apple computers, cannot cook them as far as I know

Users who are viewing this thread