Where is the S3C3-G standing for in the engine name of Pratt & Whitney (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pienske

Airman
Jun 6, 2021
Hi,
I am totally new in the WWII airplane world. But the fact that you start investigating something brings more and more questions.
So I tried to figure out the exact meanings of de data that is written in an engine specification.
I found an article where there is written that the engines on the plane where 1,100hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S3C4-G engines. On an other type of plane they where using R-1830-S3C3-G
Can somebody please explain the exact meanings of the whole name... example: R-1830-S3C4-G
Thanks a lot for your help.

The 'alphabet soup' was the company's name for different engine versions. Until someone better learned chimes in, hope this is of interest (click on the thumbnails):

mitsu ngns40.jpgmitsu ngns41.jpg

You'll have to pull up an R-1830 reference and chase the letter/number code in the charts to find the particulars. They define the ratings, fuel characteristics and certain production installations, as well as cross over to the military designation if it was applicable. Here is a good source for decoding. You will have to pull up the 1830 section and probably print it out to make it completely readable.

Hi,
I am totally new in the WWII airplane world. But the fact that you start investigating something brings more and more questions.
So I tried to figure out the exact meanings of de data that is written in an engine specification.
I found an article where there is written that the engines on the plane where 1,100hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S3C4-G engines. On an other type of plane they where using R-1830-S3C3-G
Can somebody please explain the exact meanings of the whole name... example: R-1830-S3C4-G
Thanks a lot for your help.
Please see https://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/P&W/PWdesignations.pdf

Thanks a lot for the reply, with the combined information, I learned a lot, and it helped me forward!!!!
Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back