As for using original parts , well , Id love to run an original DB-601/603 block .
Why? There are still plenty of Merlin and Allison engines out there you could do a lot with - I hope you're very rich!
Everything else will be custom , crank/rods/pistons etc . 4000 hp is the goal using turbos . So far I havent really been told not to use an original block . I wouldnt want to use an original plane for the purpose of racing , but , reality is would it really be that bad ? Im not one to hack to peices a plane just to try and make it more streamlined , Id spend more time trying to get hp out of it . Just remember the Germans were out to try and make the fastest planes with the best armament . The ME-209 had the record for a long long time . I believe using their designs with todays technology could yield some interesting results
Great to dream. You better consider this...
You're probably going to need 2 or even 3 engines. You'll probably blow up one engine on the initial installation during the tuning and flight test process, a common event. In what ever airframe you decide to use, you're going to have to design a "QEC" set up so the engine could be easily removed during race week should you have any type of engine problem.
Where are you going to build and certify this aircraft? Have you looked into your country's requirements for issuing an airworthiness certificate? Are you going to do everything here? Keep in mind that your racer needs to be completely certificated prior to race day and you cannot to any major alterations to the aircraft during race week with out FAA approval.
Finally have you considered how much all this is going to cost outside the building of the aircraft? You'll have to ship the aircraft from Australia, assemble it and pay for you and your crew to stay in Reno for the week, if not longer. Also consider your fuel bill. Part of my airplane's fuel bill was charged to my credit card by mistake - over $5000.00.
Not trying to rain on your parade, but there's a lost more involved in this project. It's a good thing that you'll be in Reno this year so you could see what goes on. Personally I think you're looking at anywhere from $2 - $4 million to do what you're planning. I'd look more into the sport class if I were you. Some of the things you desire are a bit more accessible for those aircraft and they are slowly catching up to the unlimited in speed.
Finally, I keep hearing all this talk about engines, but nothing about propellers. Have you even considered what type of propeller you're going to use? If you design you're own you could be looking at $500K by the time you start cutting metal till you hang it on your aircraft.
I do wish you luck, but as stated, 4000 hp isn't going to mean you're going to have a "winner." The fastest you're going to see on the track is maybe 520 mph if you could accomplish everything you're planning. If you make 530 - 540 on a course by yourself I'd be surprised. After that mother nature will your obstacle.
I do hope you have "A LOT" of money!