P-51 Mustang airframe panel manufacture

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Deleted member 68059

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2015
Does anyone have photos or any articles or documents which show any of the machinery/processes north american aviation used to produce the Mustang airframe outer skin panels ?

I`ve got a few photos of the airframes being assembled, but not any of the panels being stamped/cut/formed ?

Hey Snowygrouch,

From WWII U.S. Office of War Information photos, currently held by the National Archives, available through the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Online Catalog.

drop hammer at NAA, Inglewood late-1942.jpg

I do not know if you are familiar with the drop hammer, but it is basically a kinetic energy hammer, used either for forging or pressing/stamping or sometimes both at the same time.

I do not know if these parts are P-51? B-25? neither?

Most of the curved section skins with high structural loads were formed with a stretcher press. Lightly loaded ones, such as fairings and cowling sections were formed with drop hammers and english wheels.

For those that have never seen the stretch forming process, here's a 4 minute video form a shop forming a curved skin section.

And here's one stretch forming a large aluminum extrusion:

elbmc,
Your posting of PDF file showed up nothing. I could not open it. Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back