Which was better F-86 or MiG 15?

Which is better Sabre or MiG 15?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

4th FW had 6 F-86Fs with a belly pod that housed 3 JATO bottles. This was a field answer to deal with the MiG-15's altitude advantage. The JATO set up gave either a 14 or 38 second burst depending how they were fired. One of these Sabers were flown by Capt. Cliff Jolley, 335th FS. 7 Kills, 2 using the JATO pod. This mod was short lived as it made the aircraft tail heavy, added 2 1/2 hours in turn over time and also caused the aircraft to porpoise in certain situations.

Could they have added nose armor to help with the COG? I have my hat.

Hey, I had nothing to say about the Draken's afterburner.
Well, we were talking about the performance of the J-35 and from there, I asked if they had some kind of custom-built afterburner. I'd almost swear it was in a cutaway, and it was quite large compared to conventional afterburners typically seen on aircraft. I was curious if it provided more thrust than a typical A/B.

Well, we were talking about the performance of the J-35 and from there, I asked if they had some kind of custom-built afterburner. I'd almost swear it was in a cutaway, and it was quite large compared to conventional afterburners typically seen on aircraft. I was curious if it provided more thrust than a typical A/B.
Leave it to the Swedes to be a little different. SAAB Flygmotor got a license to build the RR Avon, then set a about tweaking it here and there to get a little more power and a little better fuel economy, apparently without authorization from RR. Then rather than pay the long dollar for an EE Lightning style AB from RR, they concocted one of their own, specific to the J35 Draken. And yes it was an impressive looking SOB, but then so was the Draken itself. Impressive flyer too. Shocked the first MiG drivers who stumbled into Swedish airspace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back